Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Storm coming Sunday. 6 to 10 inches of snow.
I saw that too. Probably be another snow day for the kids. They had 2 this week plus one 2 hour delay and one early dismissal lol
i will have glazed please! sounds about right
My kids were very confused by the doughnut seeds for a few minutes, then begged to get some. Then we told them it was a joke and we got the evil glare lol. I think they were embarrassed they believed it too lol

Storm coming Sunday. 6 to 10 inches of snow.
I think 5" is predicted for our area (Eastern PA) but that will be on top of what is already down. Four weeks one day til March (Then Winter will probably hit with a vengeance.)
barnie.gif

Rats!!!!!!! They just upped it. Said it could be up to 12". Monday is ground hog day. If that little varmint sees his shadow..........

Last edited:
Put 95 eggs into lockdown tonight, now I have something to watch when the snow hits.

If anyone would like some cute little chicks . . . . . . .

good luck and enjoy! It's so much fun watching them hatch :)

my hatch ended with 19 babies. I know I was impatient but I was fairly certain the rest of the eggs were dead. I candled each one and did a float test to each. No movement, no sign of life. I very carefully and slowly pipped them, one at a time and checked each egg. Out of the 18 left, 4 made it full term. One was Mal positioned, one had pipped internally but never made it through the shell (I'm assuming it suffocated), one looked like it pipped through a blood vessel and bled out, and one had a severe cross beak and never had a chance of getting out. The rest were quitters at various stages.

@dheltzel as far as the shipped egg experiment goes, Marans did great! All of them had some form of developement. Only one was an early quitter and the other that didn't hatch was one of the unfortunate full term ones. The Rhodebars didn't do so well. They developed great until the last couple days. They all looked good at lockdown but all quit shortly after (all but 2). One hatched great, no problems and the one I had to help.

I was rather worried about this little guy but his little toes are straightening out, he seems to have found his balance and was even showing some interest in food already. The welsummers also didn't do well. Most developed at least some (2 died full term) but only one hatched. The CCL, one hatched great and super fast, the other quit somewhere around 16-17 days.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the babies I got :) they are quite the enthusiastic bunch and are eating and drinking already. The little splash ameraucana is already starting to grow in the feathers on the tips of her wings!

lousy pic but I had to blow it up. She doesn't stand still long enough for a close up lol

Last edited:
good luck and enjoy! It's so much fun watching them hatch
smile.png

my hatch ended with 19 babies. I know I was impatient but I was fairly certain the rest of the eggs were dead. I candled each one and did a float test to each. No movement, no sign of life. I very carefully and slowly pipped them, one at a time and checked each egg. Out of the 18 left, 4 made it full term. One was Mal positioned, one had pipped internally but never made it through the shell (I'm assuming it suffocated), one looked like it pipped through a blood vessel and bled out, and one had a severe cross beak and never had a chance of getting out. The rest were quitters at various stages.

@dheltzel as far as the shipped egg experiment goes, Marans did great! All of them had some form of developement. Only one was an early quitter and the other that didn't hatch was one of the unfortunate full term ones. The Rhodebars didn't do so well. They developed great until the last couple days. They all looked good at lockdown but all quit shortly after (all but 2). One hatched great, no problems and the one I had to help.
I was rather worried about this little guy but his little toes are straightening out, he seems to have found his balance and was even showing some interest in food already. The welsummers also didn't do well. Most developed at least some (2 died full term) but only one hatched. The CCL, one hatched great and super fast, the other quit somewhere around 16-17 days.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the babies I got
smile.png
they are quite the enthusiastic bunch and are eating and drinking already. The little splash ameraucana is already starting to grow in the feathers on the tips of her wings!

lousy pic but I had to blow it up. She doesn't stand still long enough for a close up lol

Auro:

Congrats on the hatch...my limited experience with a bater had my hatch go up to 24 days.....I was getting ready to turn the thing off and one more hatched only because I forgot to turn the thing off....maybe you'll get lucky too...my two cents....

Hey:

Just came back in after checking on the chooks and letting the dog out....its freaking nasty out there......cold cuts through multiply layers in minutes...dog said lets go in???? tough night to be a chook......

Back
Top Bottom