Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Thank you! Would you insulate your chicken coop? Trying to gather enough information before we make a decision.
wink.png

We insulated ours, but the eaves are open and only covered with hardware cloth and we have multiple windows, one of which remains cracked open year around . The insulated walls and floor make it more practical for our broodies who hatch year around. we have taken a couple of the corners and made snug little broody huts in which our hens have been able to raise many, many chicks in. heated dog bowls are able to keep water thawed even on really, really cold days.

Last edited:
Thank you! Would you insulate your chicken coop? Trying to gather enough information before we make a decision. ;)

We insulated ours, but the eaves are open and only covered with hardware cloth and we have multiple windows, one of which remains cracked open year around . The insulated walls and floor make it more practical for our broodies who hatch year around.  we have taken a couple of the corners and made snug little broody huts in which our hens have been able to raise many, many chicks in.  heated dog bowls are able to keep water thawed even on really, really cold days.

We also insulated ours and left the eves open with just hardware cloth. Seems to work well. We have 1 window that we remove over the summer (screen stays in) and a huge door on the side that we open every day, all summer. The window gets put back in and the big door is kept shut starting in late fall. We have a 5 gallon bucket with nipple waterers on the bottom that stays in the run. We run a submersible de-icer into it which usually keeps the nipples flowing though they did freeze over a couple times last year.

Does anyone here put plastic up around their run for the winter? I think we're going to this year since last year, it was so cold and the wind would blow right through our run (its like 12 feet tall though). Our girls wouldn't come out if the snow blew into their run. They didn't want to step in it but who can blame them. I'm hoping that the plastic will keep the snow out and maybe even add a bit of warmth like a greenhouse. If nothing else, protect them from the wind. The eves well still be open for ventilation.

This is T-Bone (Sweetgrass tom), Cleo (Sweetgrass hen) and Thanksgiving and Christmas (who are both either Royal Palm or Royal palm mix). T-bone and Cleo are both a little over a year old and the two guests of honor are right around 4.5 months.

Oo my goodness..I haven't come across beak trimming..that sounds soo painful! Is it easy to train your chicken to go back in the coop after free ranging?

No need to beak trim. They will learn after a bit. When my girls were young, I just put them in the coop at night and shut the door. Did that for a few days and they got the hang of it. New chickens learn it from the elders.

To all the new people, take a look at this video. Chickens are the gateway animal lol. Just a warning. Think it has happened to too many of us here. :oops:

A classic! Truth!

Hi.  This is my first visit to the PA thread.  It looks like there's lots going on here!

I have two barred plymouth rock cockerels available for free (hatch date 7/27/15).  They are currently 5 weeks old.  They have been hen-raised with a mixed-age flock that is allowed to free-range, so they are learning "flock manners" and foraging skills.  I already have a rooster, so these cockerels will have to go.  I'm in central PA (Spring Mills) if anyone is interested.  (I've also posted in the buy-sell-trade forum)

Welcome to the Pa thread!

I didn't have to sit out with them to see how they got up over the coop tonight. Everyone went into the run with minimal fuss.

Congrats! They do learn! :lol:

We also insulated ours and left the eves open with just hardware cloth. Seems to work well. We have 1 window that we remove over the summer (screen stays in) and a huge door on the side that we open every day, all summer. The window gets put back in and the big door is kept shut starting in late fall. We have a 5 gallon bucket with nipple waterers on the bottom that stays in the run. We run a submersible de-icer into it which usually keeps the nipples flowing though they did freeze over a couple times last year.

Does anyone here put plastic up around their run for the winter? I think we're going to this year since last year, it was so cold and the wind would blow right through our run (its like 12 feet tall though). Our girls wouldn't come out if the snow blew into their run. They didn't want to step in it but who can blame them. I'm hoping that the plastic will keep the snow out and maybe even add a bit of warmth like a greenhouse. If nothing else, protect them from the wind. The eves well still be open for ventilation.

I am seriously condsidering this for this year. My poor girls were huddled on the porch more than they should have been. This fall my project is to put a roof on my run and ad some plastic sheeting also. Do you put slits in the plastic so that you don't get a parachute effect?

@Sally Sunshine. Nice to see you back! Hope this year is healthier for you! We missed you, :hugs

@dheltzel. How soon can you sex the bantam Cochins? One from the previous hatch is getting bigger quicker, and it looks like it's starting to have a bigger comb. Will try to snap some pics today. Also, what kind of Matams eggs did you give me? I'm just curious to know which breeds are which of the dozen chicks. She is managing, with a little help from me. ;)

Since this will be my first winter with birds and my run in chain link fencing I was thinking about scouring craiglist for those privacy slates that you put in chain link fencing to see if that keeps out a little wind and snow for them.

Last year, we wrapped tarps around the chain link fence to help with the wind. We just put the tarps around the bottom, nothing on the top of the run. We have enough issues with the bird netting becoming full of ice and snow and collapsing it. We had some nasty, cold windchills last year, -35 burrrr!!!

Back
Top Bottom