Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Welcome to the group!

What breed(s) are you looking for? I would bet we can find someone in your general area with eggs for you.

We are going to incubate our own eggs for the first time this spring. In the past I have always just brought home day old chicks from feed stores in the spring. After reading a lot of the hatch along, I'm nervous about hatch rates and such. So I would love some practice rounds w/ the incubator! I would love some dual purpose breeds that I can keep the hens and process roosters. I'm not very picky on breed! Also maybe a few more silkies, my kids each have one and they carry them around and play with them every day!

We are going to incubate our own eggs for the first time this spring. In the past I have always just brought home day old chicks from feed stores in the spring. After reading a lot of the hatch along, I'm nervous about hatch rates and such. So I would love some practice rounds w/ the incubator! I would love some dual purpose breeds that I can keep the hens and process roosters. I'm not very picky on breed! Also maybe a few more silkies, my kids each have one and they carry them around and play with them every day!
Just let us know when you want eggs. This group might be able to find a closer source, but I will certainly have fertile eggs whenever you are ready. I have a number of different breeds, most would be considered dual-purpose, and all are friendly if handled a lot as chicks.

Fired up the small incubator tonight! Seems my "vacation" from incubating eggs lasted only 2 weeks. I had to, you know. Those Reese Legbar eggs simply must be hatched, right?

7 of them went into the incubator.
fl.gif

Bantam cochin all the way. I keep a few just to be my incubators. They go on baby-raising marathons that start in spring and end in fall.
X3! My bantam Cochin was a freebie, but I love her. She's just as hard as the big girls and an amazing broody. Also very friendly and cute!
Just for show, Cubalaya cockerels about 6 months old.
Troyes, are you still moving? They are gorgeous as always.
Fired up the small incubator tonight! Seems my "vacation" from incubating eggs lasted only 2 weeks. I had to, you know. Those Reese Legbar eggs simply must be hatched, right? 7 of them went into the incubator. :fl
We're shocked! (Not!). Let us know how it goes... Does this mean you will keep them indoors most of the winter?

I just wanted to pop in and show everyone Ariel's foot. I'm very happy with the way it's healing up now. Thanks to everyone who have me advice on stopping her bleeding and treating the bumblefoot. I'm 99% sure that the growth on the side of her toe was a cyst so she had that on top of bumblefoot.

Hi guys! I'm new to BYC and I recently moved to the area between Harrisburg and Lancaster. I grew up in western PA though and all my family still lives there. I work at a commercial broiler hatchery and occasionally I sneak home chicks that get left behind on Friday nights. We're supposed to euthanize them but I can't euthanize a healthy animal in good conscience. I'm not actually allowed to have any birds because of my job and originally a relative was going to take these chicks but now I need to find someone who wants them for free. I posted in the swaps forum about this but it got deleted because apparently that wasn't the right location.

I have 6 total right now, 5 females and 1 male. 2 females are 4 weeks old, 1 female and the male are 3 weeks old and the last 2 females are 1 week old. They're a commercial cross of Hubbard slow feathering males crossed with Cobb 500 fast feathering females. I really need to rehome these babies asap because I live in an apartment and having them puts my job at risk.

They've all been vaccinated for Marek's and received a cocciostat at the hatchery. They're pretty friendly as far as broiler chickens go, but still very skittish to sudden movements and such. I've been told that if you place broiler breeds on a restricted diet then you can keep them as layers. So maybe that's a possibility of their fate.

I really hope this doesn't get deleted because I need to find somewhere semi-local to rehome them to.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom