Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Good Morning Everyone!! Have a lot to do (Including finishing that darn coop!) LOL! I am happy to say that I have made some progress and even got some assistance from my hunk and my father. (My dad lives with us.) I am really happy with the turn out so far!

I can't WAIT until it's done! My babies are gonna be so excited!! LOL!!

On a lighter note, I am going to pick up my race packet for my very first 1/2 marathon tomorrow morning! I'm so nervous! I am not a fan of the cold, so I hope I fare well in the morning cold. LOL!! I'll let you know how I do. I am hoping to finish in 2 hours 20 minutes!

Pentamom,

A couple of things you'll want to keep in mind when selecting breeds of chickens; first, do you want them cold-hardy, with or without feathered feet? Second, it is now October, you may not want to get chicks at this point in the year, or they may not be big enough to get through the winter without a heat source. And, third, some breeds don't "play well with others," so to speak. For example, Salmon Faverolles and Easter Eggers tend to be more docile and are often bullied in mixed flocks, depending on the number ratio. My EE/Andalusian mix bears a lot of "hen pecking" from my Jersey Giant, Buff Orpington, and Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. One more consideration; my BO just finished her third "broody" spell since March. I have no roo, so I have no need of so much brooding. That may not be a problem for you, I'm just saying, do your research for what qualities you do want before you bring home your birds.

Personally, if I had it to do again, I'd jump at that Easter Egger "starter package." That sounds like a perfect fit to me! Either way, it's quite a fun adventure! Enjoy the process and welcome to the club!

mm

Pentamom,

A couple of things you'll want to keep in mind when selecting breeds of chickens; first, do you want them cold-hardy, with or without feathered feet? Second, it is now October, you may not want to get chicks at this point in the year, or they may not be big enough to get through the winter without a heat source. And, third, some breeds don't "play well with others," so to speak. For example, Salmon Faverolles and Easter Eggers tend to be more docile and are often bullied in mixed flocks, depending on the number ratio. My EE/Andalusian mix bears a lot of "hen pecking" from my Jersey Giant, Buff Orpington, and Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. One more consideration; my BO just finished her third "broody" spell since March. I have no roo, so I have no need of so much brooding. That may not be a problem for you, I'm just saying, do your research for what qualities you do want before you bring home your birds.

Personally, if I had it to do again, I'd jump at that Easter Egger "starter package." That sounds like a perfect fit to me! Either way, it's quite a fun adventure! Enjoy the process and welcome to the club!

mm
Have to agree with this, a good place to start, then you have all winter to research and get the kinks worked out of your coop, chicks will be plentiful come spring time, you shouldn't have any problems finding the breeds that you want then.

Good Morning Everyone!! Have a lot to do (Including finishing that darn coop!) LOL! I am happy to say that I have made some progress and even got some assistance from my hunk and my father. (My dad lives with us.) I am really happy with the turn out so far!

I can't WAIT until it's done! My babies are gonna be so excited!! LOL!!

On a lighter note, I am going to pick up my race packet for my very first 1/2 marathon tomorrow morning! I'm so nervous! I am not a fan of the cold, so I hope I fare well in the morning cold. LOL!! I'll let you know how I do. I am hoping to finish in 2 hours 20 minutes!
Great job! I can soooo see you building a nother in the spring! he he he !! Good luck with the marathon... I hate running guess thats y I am fat eh?? LOL

Holy crap! A Coopers Hawk just took a dive down to try and get one if my chickens! My 15 year old was sitting there with them when it tried it! Now I am scared to free range them if i am not out with them.
sad.png

They are bold & persistent and will be back. I didn't have a problem when I was up in PA but down here it has been terrible. I just chased 3 of them away! I was looking forward to having less of a problem with hawks when I come back to PA. If I see them coming close I set off firecrackers to scare them away but they come back the next day. I have several roosters and they have gotten so much better at alerting and getting everyone to safety.

i had a red tailed hawk go after my little d'uccle rooster so i threw a large rock at it, it didnt work so i hit with a bat i havent seen it since. now i have hawk drills for my chickens, that always gets the guineas started

Back
Top Bottom