Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hope the little one will find a good home, she is so cute. Too bad that your ameraucana/rhodebar chicks are not autosexing (Theoretically, black ameraucana roo x rhodebar hens should be, since only males are barred.). They will be great green egg layers.

Maybe you can put the chicks on sale on Craigslist.

They are on craigslist and it just happened that I got an email this morning from a lady who will take them all, even the little cross beak silkie :)

They all would've been sex linked if my Rhodebar hen was the mother but it was the opposite. They all hatched from ameraucana eggs with my Rhodebar roo as daddy so they are ALL barred lol

They are on craigslist and it just happened that I got an email this morning from a lady who will take them all, even the little cross beak silkie
smile.png

They all would've been sex linked if my Rhodebar hen was the mother but it was the opposite. They all hatched from ameraucana eggs with my Rhodebar roo as daddy so they are ALL barred lol
That's great news. There should be a good market for these chicks in central PA. Craigslist are good for looking for those potential customers.

They are on craigslist and it just happened that I got an email this morning from a lady who will take them all, even the little cross beak silkie
smile.png

Way to go! Gotta love CL!

If you raise the barred hens, they will lay green eggs. If you put a black Am roo over them, you will get green egg laying black sexlinks, beautiful jet black hens with lots of Ameraucana features (dark legs and ear muffs).

I like "Designing Poultry", very impressive.

Bielefelders are really good-looking gentle birds, but is their production as good as barred rock? Any way, I think your current Welbars are really perfect for the future market: beautiful autosexing chickens with the best production of dark brown eggs. What can you ask more for a chicken? After you confirm that they breed true and get more chicks, you should start to show the BYC people about it. I'm petty sure that there will be a big market for them.

It's hard to say if they are as good as a Rock. They took longer to come into lay, but skipped the pullet eggs entirely - their first eggs were as large as most breeds get at the end of their season, and now they are extra large, as large as my second year Rhodebars and Welsummers, for sure. I'm having a hard time finding anything I don't like about the BF's. I thought they were not hatching well, but I pulled 2 out of the hatcher tonight, making for a total of 4 out of 5 eggs. The Welbars did 6 out of 7. 2 of each were clear, so I set 7 BF eggs and got 4 chicks and 9 WB eggs and got 6. These are all first or 2nd week eggs, and you have to expect the first few eggs from a pullet may not hatch that well.

If I had BF's 2 years ago when I started on the WB project, I might not have bothered, they are so close. I need to get pics of the adults and eggs to post for everyone to compare. Supposedly the BF's have some Welsummer genes in their ancestry, and I'm guessing Barred Rock too, that is likely where the large size comes from, some of the heritage lines of rocks are very large birds.

The Welbar eggs are mostly a little darker and they hatch a day earlier. I have a lot more Welbar pullets at or near POL, so I will probably have 10x the number of Welbars to sell this year, I will likely reserve the BF's for people that want them specifically, and anyone just looking for a large dual purpose dark egg layer will get a Welbar recommendation.

My 4 younger birds do go in the run every night without a problem. But they sleep on a roost on the opposite end of the run from the coop. The 6 original girls sleep in the coop. Should I be worried now that it is getting cold or just assume that if they get cold enough, they'll go inside? There are 2 roosts in the coop itself, and there is room for them.

My 4 younger birds do go in the run every night without a problem. But they sleep on a roost on the opposite end of the run from the coop. The 6 original girls sleep in the coop. Should I be worried now that it is getting cold or just assume that if they get cold enough, they'll go inside? There are 2 roosts in the coop itself, and there is room for them.

I would put them inside each night when they go to roost. It's a lot safer and after they keep waking up in the coop, they might get the idea.

My 4 younger birds do go in the run every night without a problem. But they sleep on a roost on the opposite end of the run from the coop. The 6 original girls sleep in the coop. Should I be worried now that it is getting cold or just assume that if they get cold enough, they'll go inside? There are 2 roosts in the coop itself, and there is room for them.

I would put them inside each night when they go to roost. It's a lot safer and after they keep waking up in the coop, they might get the idea.

X2

Back
Top Bottom