Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

@fisherlady This is Sheryl Crow, my escape artist. I picked her up outside (after the dog chased her back in once already!), and decided to hand her to Duckling inside the coop. Duckling has never touched an adult, though they will stay inside while we are collecting eggs, and even stay in a nest box when she is standing there. LOL! She isn't sure how to handle new experiences (what toddler is?) so that is why the look on her face. The chicken never tried to get loose. Duckling held her until I said she could put her down if she wanted to. It was still a calm experience. Maybe the chicken was as unsure as the child!
lau.gif

Awesome picture!! I am so glad it turned out to be a good experience for both of them, our roosters are so laid back and most of our hens are also, and even those who don't care for being picked up are quite calm once in hand...I'm glad it seems to be an inherited trait. She will be quite the experienced chicken handler before she goes to kindergarten!
Welcome from Cambria county! I love your little pond brooder! That's an awesome idea
smile.png
x2, that liner does make a nice keep for them!

@fisherlady This is Sheryl Crow, my escape artist. I picked her up outside (after the dog chased her back in once already!), and decided to hand her to Duckling inside the coop. Duckling has never touched an adult, though they will stay inside while we are collecting eggs, and even stay in a nest box when she is standing there. LOL! She isn't sure how to handle new experiences (what toddler is?) so that is why the look on her face. The chicken never tried to get loose. Duckling held her until I said she could put her down if she wanted to. It was still a calm experience. Maybe the chicken was as unsure as the child! :lau
Love the photo and story!
1f495.png
The girls are so cute.

The reason I'm considering a Sandhill order is to get an unrelated line of Welsummers that still have very dark eggs. I'm not happy with the hatchability in my current flock and I lose more adults from that breed than all the other combined, some just seem to fail to thrive. The reason I'm considering a Sandhill order is to get an unrelated line of Welsummers that still have very dark eggs. I'm not happy with the hatchability in my current flock and I lose more adults from that breed than all the other combined, some just seem to fail to thrive. My other (perhaps saner) option is to push ahead with Welbars and keep a smaller flock of Welsummers and accept the problems they have, but I figure if someone else is ever ordering from Sandhill, that would be the time to get a few of their Welsummers to try.
If I had the room... You can bet I'd be getting a few silkies. And maybe some others... :lol:
Clearfield Pennsylvania!! I am just beginning my lifelong dream of raising a few chickens! If all goes well my chickens, my coop and run will be installed by the end of March! My chicks will be raised in my great room for the first month! Then the fun begins!!
Welcome welcome! So excited for you!
Welcome Nimrod.......I to am just starting a life long dream of having a few chickens for my yard. I will be starting on the coop here next week I hope and my chicks arrive in 13 days(I can't wait). Mine will also be raised in my house till they are 6 weeks old. Good luck on yor endeavor and welcome to BYC from Johnstown.
Welcome to you too! It's s much fun!
Congrats on your new venture and welcome from Cambria county! Be sure to make your coop bigger than you think you need it to be. They are addicting and you will want more lol
X2!
my backyard which is on an extreme slope covered with trees could use a few goats I actually like goat as in meat
And this is how the enabling starts. You'll have more goats at your door by next week! :lol:
Hello all in Penn's land just joined a few days ago and decided to find the pa group just in case some of my neighbors may be on here..ya never know..I have been raising chickens for about a year now.I have ten hens full grown now three Barred Plymouth Rock Bantams,four Barred Plymouth Rock hens,with three New Hampshire red hens also and i.ve just added some ducks to the mix for this year plus some more chicks.Feel free to check out my profile to see my flock doing their thing.hope to here from any locals here are a few pics my new Kahki Campbell ducks and all the other chicks four Buff Orpingtons and an additional six Pullets of unknown breed,,and little do the ducks know that they are being brooded in the pond liner that i'm going to install later this spring for them,,lol
Looking great! Love the kitty lounging with the hens in the last photo!
@fisherlady This is Sheryl Crow, my escape artist. I picked her up outside (after the dog chased her back in once already!), and decided to hand her to Duckling inside the coop. Duckling has never touched an adult, though they will stay inside while we are collecting eggs, and even stay in a nest box when she is standing there. LOL! She isn't sure how to handle new experiences (what toddler is?) so that is why the look on her face. The chicken never tried to get loose. Duckling held her until I said she could put her down if she wanted to. It was still a calm experience. Maybe the chicken was as unsure as the child! :lau
She looks so cute! That's great that they were both relaxed.

Clearfield Pennsylvania!! I am just beginning my lifelong dream of raising a few chickens! If all goes well my chickens, my coop and run will be installed by the end of March! My chicks will be raised in my great room for the first month! Then the fun begins!!

Howdy from Chester Co....Tell us what you are looking for....lots of folks to help fill the coop!

Quote: How are you containing them now?

Hello all in Penn's land just joined a few days ago and decided to find the pa group just in case some of my neighbors may be on here..ya never know..I have been raising chickens for about a year now.I have ten hens full grown now three Barred Plymouth Rock Bantams,four Barred Plymouth Rock hens,with three New Hampshire red hens also and i.ve just added some ducks to the mix for this year plus some more chicks.Feel free to check out my profile to see my flock doing their thing.hope to here from any locals here are a few pics my new Kahki Campbell ducks and all the other chicks four Buff Orpingtons and an additional six Pullets of unknown breed,,and little do the ducks know that they are being brooded in the pond liner that i'm going to install later this spring for them,,lol

frow.gif
Welcome! Cute duckies ya got there.

@fisherlady This is Sheryl Crow, my escape artist. I picked her up outside (after the dog chased her back in once already!), and decided to hand her to Duckling inside the coop. Duckling has never touched an adult, though they will stay inside while we are collecting eggs, and even stay in a nest box when she is standing there. LOL! She isn't sure how to handle new experiences (what toddler is?) so that is why the look on her face. The chicken never tried to get loose. Duckling held her until I said she could put her down if she wanted to. It was still a calm experience. Maybe the chicken was as unsure as the child!
lau.gif

Good Gawd that child is precious!

Back
Top Bottom