Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Yeah, I'm not letting them out today. Luckily our coop is technically large enough to keep them in it (8 chickens in an 8x12 ft coop). We did that on purpose for vacations and bad weather. Now I'm really glad it can also be for predator protection.

Wereforpsu:

I have had a # of fox attacks including about 10mins ago....never expect them to go away....what happened this evening is that the main roo started the process of getting the girls to roost....he was standing outside the pen and the girls were milling around....I was checking on them every 10/15mins to shoo the last of them in the run and lock it down I herd the screech ran and opened the window, and saw the chooks in the corner of the yard....called the pooch and ran outside....a quick inventory showed the main roo missing and a small pile of feather....I ran down to the back gate to let the pooch loose and the main roo was there,,,,still alive....I cut the dog loose and brought the boy inside....his breathing was labored and raspy....a few drops of blood dripped but I could not find any major wounds....a single drop of blood gathered on his beak a few minutes later...he was strong enough to flap his wings at me in the bathroom so I carefully placed him back in the coop in a nesting box....I will be checking on him every couple of hours...

Believe me, foxes are the worst....they can show up anytime of the day....though I've found sunset/sunrise to be the times they like the best...no matter what you do, they will adjust there patterns to your defenses....and once they know you are after them you will never see them.....but they will never leave....sorry for the rant.....

All:

Anyone looking for leaves can just come to my house with trash bags....I have more than you can imagine....lol...

I believe it! I spent an hour earlier running the tractor around with the lawn sweeper picking up leaves and dumping them in the woods and I only have about an acre of cleared land lol. I still didn't get them all yet!

I believe it! I spent an hour earlier running the tractor around with the lawn sweeper picking up leaves and dumping them in the woods and I only have about an acre of cleared land lol. I still didn't get them all yet!

Last year, I used lots of leaves to cover my garden. It worked really well. My garlics loved it, so does my roses.

auro:

I have a bit less than an acre and I mulch them before the clearing them out and I still have more than folks I know that have 10 acres .....I am oak central....PS: still less than 1/3 have fallen.....yuck.....

Good evening all:

nothing really new, fox was sitting about 100yds off watching the coop around dusk this evening....the pooch alerted and I cut him loose. He ran the fox off and then around for a while then came back...the lesson is, once they are around, they are around forever....my two cents

True. And a bit depressing. I am going to try some thing new this winter and have a trapper come in. I understand it is for 2 weeks only, and I can keep Bella in with the goats during that time.

Looks like our flock is going to get to enjoy some pumpkins. We never actualy got around to carving ours this year. The kids didn't even push for it

We also did not carve pumpkins this year, was just wondering if we could do it this week....I love roasting the seeds after carving and we've got plenty of pumpkins for the chooks even after we take a few to carve.

Last year, I used lots of leaves to cover my garden. It worked really well. My garlics loved it, so does my roses.

Good idea!

True. And a bit depressing. I am going to try some thing new this winter and have a trapper come in. I understand it is for 2 weeks only, and I can keep Bella in with the goats during that time.
We also did not carve pumpkins this year, was just wondering if we could do it this week....I love roasting the seeds after carving and we've got plenty of pumpkins for the chooks even after we take a few to carve.
Good idea!

Oh, I'm taking the seeds lol they can have everything else!

When your chicken uses a Tom turkey as a mattress....

Back
Top Bottom