Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Oh no I have some sad news too. This is Kiwi our rumpless Araucana that we hatched on Jan 21. She laid us the coolest dark green eggs and they then became a light blue. I was watching the chickens today and Kiwi was walking around as normal with her friend. Her best buddy laid an egg at 10am. Kiwi always waits until her older Blue Orpington best friend lays, then she lays in the same spot. Today she stayed down in the run. Then squatted down as if in a dirt bath. I approached her because I don't want her to lay in the run, and surprisingly she didn't move. I gave her a stroke or two and she still didn't move. Very odd. So I moved her upstairs in the coop to let her lay her egg in peace. Then her head went down and beak touched the floor. I got her some water because I thought she's overheating and dabbed some on her mouth. She noticed me doing that as if paralised. Then I decided to bring her inside into the cool and prepared a box. When I got back she looked asleep. Then there was some intermittent flapping bursts. And then silence.

After the initial shock I put some gloves on and checked her cloaca. Kiwi had a habit of some days of sitting as if she was going to lay, and then not laying. Her cloaca was oozing a white liquid and when I felt further up I could feel what felt like broken egg shell. I squeezed a lot but I couldn't get any of the egg shell to come out to confirm. I'm not cutting her open. Could a broken egg inside cause instant death? She went from lively to dead in about 15 minutes. I thought I had a lot more time to figure out the situation than that.

Kiwi was our smallest, cutest chicken.

View attachment 1083823
So sorry to hear this. I have raised canaries and other birds for years and birds are unparalleled at hiding illness of any sort. Sometimes they just go across the Rainbow Bridge before you can even try to help them.

Coronation Sussex we bought in Howell Michigan on the long Journey home. I hope she is a she! I spent over 100 bucks on Coro eggs and decided that shipped eggs are hopeless.
IMG_2726.jpg

It's so hot. Poor birds look miserable. Trying to figure out a way to help them other then lots of cool water.

Finding more and more raspberries. Hubby has been driving tractor into tall grass to give me a path then I clear out some of the other plants to get into them. Can't wait to make jelly!! Been crushing and freezing each days pick.

Back
Top Bottom