Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Never a dull moment around here. Had some hand surgery last week and stitches across my right hand, rendering me fairly useless. DH and DD#1 got dragged away on a business trip on Monday leaving me to tend the animals and grandsons...with one hand. It’s been interesting...to say the least.

On the bright side... we got 4-H projects, eggs and pottery entered in the Unionville Fair. I’m soooo excited to see how the kids do. There’s nothing like a rosette to bring a sense of pride and accomplishment to a child. Wish I had these opportunities when I was growing up.
When and where is the Unionville Fair?!?!

I need help with an injured chicken. My young dog made it in the chicken run late Tuesday afternoon--in ten minute, he killed seven of my girls. I am heart broken--these were pets. My welsummer made it over the privacy fence into the neighbors yard and she is fine. Three other girls escaped into the yard and hid under bushes and look ok but really aren't eating. Azalea (partridge English orp) looked ok at first--she had a limp and some scratches which I bluecoated. I found her dead this morning. My other partridge orp is still hanging in there--her visible injuries are worse , but not as bad as some rooster inflicted damage I have seen. She is sitting hunched up and trembles occasionally. Her eyes are bright and she can walk. Do I bring her inside? How do I get her to drink some nutridrench?

I need help with an injured chicken. My young dog made it in the chicken run late Tuesday afternoon--in ten minute, he killed seven of my girls. I am heart broken--these were pets. My welsummer made it over the privacy fence into the neighbors yard and she is fine. Three other girls escaped into the yard and hid under bushes and look ok but really aren't eating. Azalea (partridge English orp) looked ok at first--she had a limp and some scratches which I bluecoated. I found her dead this morning. My other partridge orp is still hanging in there--her visible injuries are worse , but not as bad as some rooster inflicted damage I have seen. She is sitting hunched up and trembles occasionally. Her eyes are bright and she can walk. Do I bring her inside? How do I get her to drink some nutridrench?

I'm so sorry to hear this. We went through something like this when we first started out and it's very hard. Azalea probably had some internal injuries. There was probably nothing you could've done for her :( Hopefully your other girl will pull through. I would catch her and use am eye dropper to try to dribble it down her break. Be very careful not to let her aspirate it though.

the CX outcross babies got to enjoy some fresh air and sunshine today out in the little tractor :) The bigger ones are 4 weeks old now and the little one is 2 weeks.

View attachment 1152428 View attachment 1152430

The 3 ayam cemani chicks that I kept are enjoying their first day out with the flock. They've been in a seperation pen in the coop for at least a week now. So far, so good!

View attachment 1152431 View attachment 1152432

The turkey babies are getting big! These are babies from the beginning of July.

View attachment 1152435

Romeo and the 2 bourbon boys. One of these red heads wont be around much longer though. I don't need 2 red toms.

View attachment 1152433

I like that Cornish cross setup. How did you make it? I have 4 Ayam Cemani that I purchased, I will keep two, and s relative will get the other two. I am keeping them for s month or so because they are still pretty small.

Well, we officially own goats now...just in case we weren't busy before!:th:lau
My 10 year old wants to show market goats in the Huntingdon County Fair next year and is joining 4H. We went to the livestock auction in Belleville yesterday and bought him two 3 month old Pygmy Goats to start with before getting Boers after the new year. They are 21 and 25 lbs. They seem a little frightened, but are calming down nicely. We have plenty of grass/hay resources for the moment and I am thinking of buying some feed at TSC because I read that babies and milking moms should receive some feed to help with nutrition.
Any advice for this 'never owned a goat before" person????:bow

Wow, I have no advice, but I will be listening. We hope to get some eventually.

So sorry this happened. It's terrible when your own pet does this, and unfortunately, you will have to be extra careful. Once they have had a successful kill, the temptation seems into be greater.

I would isolate any girls that are injured, somewhere warm, like a garage, obviously where the dog cannot access them. They are probably still in shock, and may be for a few days. They can make a full recovery. I had a girl a couple years ago that I found in the morning with a fox chewing on her back. She had a nasty puncture wound or two, but went on to live a full, happy life. Even went back to laying eggs.

Keep the girls isolated and monitor them, for a few days if you can. I would also carefully look them over for other wounds, they can be easy to miss. An infection can be deadly, but can be prevented. Feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

We took everything out and put chain link panels all around sides incase thats what he was doing. Its crazy. Thanks for the info. Im so worried about her feet I definitely don't want to think about her being pregnant.

Absolutely! I know that for him to show in the county fair it is required that he is a member of 4H. So far that is all I know! LOL!
4-H is a great thing. I was very active in 4-H, my uncle gave me some bantams to keep and show. It "stuck" obviously. Now I can't say enough good things about 4-H, you should have him join for sure.

I like that Cornish cross setup. How did you make it? I have 4 Ayam Cemani that I purchased, I will keep two, and s relative will get the other two. I am keeping them for s month or so because they are still pretty small.

It's actualy just a little 4 shelf greenhouse thing that you can get at TSC. The cover got ripped after a couple years so I just layed it on its side, wraped chicken wire around it and put the wire shelves on top. I used zip ties to connect the chicken wire and two of the shelves so that they hinge (the other two just sit on top). It's very lightweight and easy to move around. I use this thing for so many things is crazy! It's a tractor, it's a playpen, or it's an introduction pen. I used it 2 weeks ago to introduce the young turkeys to the coop and before that, it held the extra cockerels awaiting butcher. Now is just a daytime playpen on nice days for the babies :)

Back
Top Bottom