Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

So I'm sad to report that our beloved "buttless" chicken passed away last night. After all the care, her rear end did start healing but she fell ill for a day and couldn't bounce back. She was probably over 5 years old and with all the issues she had, I'm sure it was her time to go. Thankfully we rescued her over a year ago and she has had the freedom to roam and enjoy life for so long, much longer than we expected her to live!

So I'm sad to report that our beloved "buttless" chicken passed away last night. After all the care, her rear end did start healing but she fell ill for a day and couldn't bounce back. She was probably over 5 years old and with all the issues she had, I'm sure it was her time to go. Thankfully we rescued her over a year ago and she has had the freedom to roam and enjoy life for so long, much longer than we expected her to live!
:hugs

Who here makes chicken aprons? How often to you have to remove them?
I have four survivors after the great poodle massacre of 2017---a Buff orp and a production red who were two of my first chicks EVER, my welsummer from Dennis who is still laying a chocolate brown egg every day and my favorite partridge English Orp who is missing a chunk out of her back. I have her indoors and segregated and am SO very grateful to everyone here who posted advice. She is eating and looking much better, even with her blue coated back. I am just realizing that she is going to take a very long time to heal and maybe a chicken apron will protect her back from her flock mates when I reintegrate her?

WP_20171009_18_30_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20171009_18_30_16_Pro.jpg

@Auroradream26 My Silkie girl is still hanging her "chicks". Haha! They are about two months old now and half her size. If she goes broody again, I will definitely let her raise some more. It's amazing how well she has done considering she is probably 8 years old and never raised any before. She is still sleeping in the boxes with them, haha!

Who here makes chicken aprons? How often to you have to remove them?
I have four survivors after the great poodle massacre of 2017---a Buff orp and a production red who were two of my first chicks EVER, my welsummer from Dennis who is still laying a chocolate brown egg every day and my favorite partridge English Orp who is missing a chunk out of her back. I have her indoors and segregated and am SO very grateful to everyone here who posted advice. She is eating and looking much better, even with her blue coated back. I am just realizing that she is going to take a very long time to heal and maybe a chicken apron will protect her back from her flock mates when I reintegrate her?

I make saddles/aprons

View attachment 1156651

View attachment 1156652

@Auroradream26 My Silkie girl is still hanging her "chicks". Haha! They are about two months old now and half her size. If she goes broody again, I will definitely let her raise some more. It's amazing how well she has done considering she is probably 8 years old and never raised any before. She is still sleeping in the boxes with them, haha!

She's doing a great job! The babies are looking really goods too. My silkie hen is sitting now. I left her keep 1 eggs and is developing nicely. This will be her first time as a mom. She only has about 1 week left till it hatches.

She really is becoming a beautiful bird. She is the oldest pullet by a few days. Considering her aunt in the background didn't start laying until like 30 weeks, I'm not holding my breath waiting for her eggs
IMG_1849.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    915.9 KB · Views: 4
Gorgeous. What breed?
Well the mom was a CL. The dad is supposedly a Welsummer/Wyandotte mix. I hatched him and two girls. One of the girls was in the background. Both girls were silver based and the rooster is gold lol.

So who knows whats in play in this pretty girl. I hatched two eggs from the CL. I got her and a cockerel. He has a single comb and she has a rose comb. He is more of what I think would be a creole type coloring and she got the lacing. Genetics is a funny thing.

Back
Top Bottom