Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Well here she was, sitting on the insulation on the wall, behind the row of chickens above. If you look closely, you can see her feet in the picture above. Silly chickens. Anyone else ever "lose" a chicken like that?

WP_20171211_17_21_46_Pro.jpg

I’m pretty sure most of my birds will stay in the coop and run today. I am not really wanting to go to the barn on my way to work. I hate winter.

I didn't let any of mine out today. 1 little red hen made an attempt to run across the snow to the rabbit hitch where a few of them like to lay but she only made it halfway and ran right back lol. The only ones complaining about being stuck inside today are the geese. They still have frozen water droplets in their feathers from swimming yesterday!

Absolutely! I didn’t even know they existed. I wanted to add ducks next year. I wanted to start with ducklimbs sinc they ar thI cutest animal ever! Where do you think you will get them from?

I only had my friends ducks for a weekend, but they were adorable!
IDK when they would begin to lay fertile eggs, but you are on the top of the list when I do start getting ducklings.

I lost my lavender cuckoo orpington today--I found her in the run eviscerated. Everyone else is staying in the coop--running outside for some scratch and going back in. I am not sure if a cat got her (she was small and there is a suspicious bend in the run's wire --or if the cold got her and her buddies wanted a warm breakfast? I am so sad--my first lavender cuckoo turned out to be a roo, the lavender Americauna died in the poodle slaughter and now this little girl. She was the same age as the white orp. pullet I got from the same breeder, but slowed down growing and was only about half her size.
Should I close the pop door (on a timer) until the weather gets better?

I lost my lavender cuckoo orpington today--I found her in the run eviscerated. Everyone else is staying in the coop--running outside for some scratch and going back in. I am not sure if a cat got her (she was small and there is a suspicious bend in the run's wire --or if the cold got her and her buddies wanted a warm breakfast? I am so sad--my first lavender cuckoo turned out to be a roo, the lavender Americauna died in the poodle slaughter and now this little girl. She was the same age as the white orp. pullet I got from the same breeder, but slowed down growing and was only about half her size.

I'm so very sorry for your loss :(

So sorry you lost one. Predators are the worst. I put an automatic door on my coop that can be set to close at certain light settings, or at a set time. It has truly been a lifesaver. They are expensive, but I never have to worry. I knew I was going to have a lot of birds, so I suspected it would be worth my while. It certainly was. If you or some you know is handy, they could probably make one for you.

My door has only failed to operate once, when the battery ran out after a year of use. Hope that helps. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom