Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Does anyone have quail?

Me! Looking for some?

We watch netflix for our movie time & swap movies with friends.
Like the Natgeo channel also. Try to have the most for the least, phone, internet, cable.
we have tried to do one without the other, but is just as expensive. Cable, phone, internet companies, are a racket!:rantIt is in truth, the second largest bill we have. Enough said.:caf
Ummmm, Bullchickie...why ya lookin' fer quail????
Just took the fur babes out..:hitthat is NO JOKE out there!! The thermom. is reading 10*, but that WIND!!:oops:..has to be below 0*
Be careful out there peeps.

We use Verizon for our house phone and internet, about $80/month. It works just fine for all we need. We have cheap TracFones for cell phones lol

Last edited:
Yes, I am interested. I’m forced to put everything off until I can afford to breathe though. Even GS cookies that I didn’t forget about.
I was thinking that the prefab coop that needs work will be great for quail. I should not have too much trouble getting it in shape. It’s... 2’ X 4’ I think. It should serve imo.

My understanding of quail:
They are tiny.
F8B1A6E8-2F27-4501-8AA8-5EB5D30AE2F0.jpeg
Coturnix ( how do you say that?!) is also called Japanese, but it’s all like the Auracana family. Very controversial.
6-8 weeks to lay
300 eggs/year, but laying and fertility go down at a year.
Cull at 8 weeks, 12 for jumbo, but some like them older.
5 birds per person for a meal if it’s the main course (seriously?).
40% humidity through day 13/14, and then 60%.
They pop out suddenly, and close together.
Shells can be all white, blue-brown, white-brown.
They are best on gamebird feed.

I understand that quail are easily spooked, and will fly away (unless their wings are clipped). I would like to know if they actually fly “away“ or just off like any spooked fowl, then come back?

I understand that quail are easily spooked, and will fly away (unless their wings are clipped). I would like to know if they actually fly “away“ or just off like any spooked fowl, then come back?

My quail don't have a chance to get out but from what I understand is they will spook very easily and fly straight up in the air. I'm not sure how hard they would be to catch it they would return (I kinda don't it though). They do last like crazy and I get plenty of eggs from my 6 ladies. I don't do anything special with incubating them, they just go in with the chicken and turkey eggs and they hatch just fine. They do pop out pretty much all at once and it seems I the hatch every single time. They drink ALOT! And will go through oyster shell pretty quick. I've never eaten any yet so I'm not sure how many will make a meal. Japanese/couturnix are the same thing. Mine are actually very friendly and will meet me at the door when I'm bringing their food and I have to physically move them when I put their water back in after refilling it lol. My last couple hatches gave me chocolate, silver, white, pied, pharoh and tuxedo type babies. I actually have already integrated the 4 babies that I kept from my first hatch with the adults at only 3 weeks old, no issues. Let me know a couple weeks ahead of when you'll want some so I can throw eggs in the Bator. I'm only hatching them by request :) I have about 60 eggs in right now but about 40 are reserved. I'm hoping that many to hatch lol. I have 13 quail total now in a 2 x 4-ish pen.

:lau omgosh, you sound like me now!!..or I you....whenever I start talking about how these "people" on tv can be so wrong and still have a job...hahaha, DH tells me to let it go & figure it out for myself..and well, like you, that is just what I do. (Underground weather & Intellicast)
Tell you what, and in all honesty too, I don't know what THEY are looking at sometimes when their reports come on...:idunno.
I can't & do not watch news. It is too ridiculous and over sensationalized. Totally agree everything is the "worst" or the biggest or whatever..I am done with it is all i know.
We don't even watch "regular" television anymore, it is as bad as the news.
Canned laughter so we know when to laugh and everyone insulting each other to be funny, nope , not for me.
:lauoh boy..see, on a burning path already! hahaha
Hope everyone is doing well & staying warm!
Have fun in the snow:weeall.
:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:goodpost:

thank you Sharron:love
we are down to 4*, not counting the wind of course. Makes me appreciate our home even more. I am truly in awe of the animals and people for that matter, that can survive in this type of climate.
Have you all seen the big ol' moon out there, so bright...i know they are calling the "great blood wolf super moon" or something crazy like that:p...i understand the wolf part..looked it up.
It is supposed to turn red around 11-1130pm tonight because of a lunar eclipse...would love to see that! Won't happen again for..uhhhh, crap, i forgot, but it's not for a very long time..hahaha
Have a good night all..stay safe, be warm.:D

Man, we didn't get any snow, just some rain, which has now turned to a sheet of ice. ugh. So Friday night we went to Green Dragon and came home with 3 more females.. Yesterday we went to my husbands parent's house, when we came back we were taking care of the ducks and one is missing.. ugh i started panicking a little, looking all over in both coops for her, no sign. No feathers anywhere, no signs of struggle.. finally I look in the creek with the neighbors ducks and there she is just floating about having the time of her life.. So now, we need to hatch a plan to get her back. her name is now houdini since she seems to be a little escape artist. Her sister is upset and keeps quacking for her to come home.

I assume that you have a baby pool for them, and it is not filled during the winter. Going with that assumption, maybe fill it, and the others swimming and splashing will entice her to return.
This idiot didn’t empty the pool because I didn’t want to do it too soon. I’m sure I’ll need a new pool in the spring. :he
The neighbor’s yard floods all the time. Some of those ruts are deep! I’ve given up on keeping my ducks out of the puddles. However, they always come home at night.

Back
Top Bottom