Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

If the rain stays away I can get the sliding pop door and hardware cloth on tomorrow will be move out day. Woo hoo!!!

[COLOR=FF0000]I am freaking out![/COLOR]

Some one please, help me out here.  I have a brooder full of sneezing & raspy breathing chicks.  I am not kidding.  It started with the older ones that were in with my ducks and now it has spread to almost everyone else.  I had two that are gasping like they have something stuck in their throats.  They did stop when they fall asleep.  One passed since this morning.  They have been on Duramycin for 3 days with more spread and no improvement.  There is no eye or nose discharge.  Just the sneezing and raspiness.  Everyone is still eating & drinking and no one is acting cold.

I have NO idea what the heck to do!  The chicks range from 5 days to nearly 3wks old.  I have 150 chicks at stake - chocolates, Polish tolbunts, my restart of wheaten Ameraucanas, bantam BBS Orps... Plus more chicks in the hatcher that I have no idea what to do with!

I thought, and still think, this started with the chicks that were in the brooder with the messy ducks.  Could they have brooder pneumonia and they are passing the bacteria?  Or is this something else?  I am concerned because of that black cockerel I got that has the clear nasal discharge and the sneeze.  I have been VERY careful to wash an disinfect when I work with him.  But, he's in with 3 girls and none of them are sick (all in quarantine)  So, obviously that's not contagious.  I've had them for 2wks and no spread.

Some, please tell me you've dealt with something like this and what you did.  OMG, I hope I don't have to cull everyone.

If I was you I'd call and talk to Peter Brown. He has always given me great advice instead of just throwing different types of antibiotics at them which isn't a good idea by guessing. With that many birds on the line I'd call ASAP. His phone number is on the first state vet supply website of his.

[COLOR=FF0000]I am freaking out![/COLOR]

Some one please, help me out here.  I have a brooder full of sneezing & raspy breathing chicks.  I am not kidding.  It started with the older ones that were in with my ducks and now it has spread to almost everyone else.  I had two that are gasping like they have something stuck in their throats.  They did stop when they fall asleep.  One passed since this morning.  They have been on Duramycin for 3 days with more spread and no improvement.  There is no eye or nose discharge.  Just the sneezing and raspiness.  Everyone is still eating & drinking and no one is acting cold.

I have NO idea what the heck to do!  The chicks range from 5 days to nearly 3wks old.  I have 150 chicks at stake - chocolates, Polish tolbunts, my restart of wheaten Ameraucanas, bantam BBS Orps... Plus more chicks in the hatcher that I have no idea what to do with!

I thought, and still think, this started with the chicks that were in the brooder with the messy ducks.  Could they have brooder pneumonia and they are passing the bacteria?  Or is this something else?  I am concerned because of that black cockerel I got that has the clear nasal discharge and the sneeze.  I have been VERY careful to wash an disinfect when I work with him.  But, he's in with 3 girls and none of them are sick (all in quarantine)  So, obviously that's not contagious.  I've had them for 2wks and no spread.

Some, please tell me you've dealt with something like this and what you did.  OMG, I hope I don't have to cull everyone.

Alot of people are having great success with using oregano oil instead of antibiotics. First state vet supply sells it and many online or specialty stores. Something great I always keep around as I think antibiotics should be reserved for only extreme cases.

I am freaking out!

Some one please, help me out here. I have a brooder full of sneezing & raspy breathing chicks. I am not kidding. It started with the older ones that were in with my ducks and now it has spread to almost everyone else. I had two that are gasping like they have something stuck in their throats. They did stop when they fall asleep. One passed since this morning. They have been on Duramycin for 3 days with more spread and no improvement. There is no eye or nose discharge. Just the sneezing and raspiness. Everyone is still eating & drinking and no one is acting cold.

I have NO idea what the heck to do! The chicks range from 5 days to nearly 3wks old. I have 150 chicks at stake - chocolates, Polish tolbunts, my restart of wheaten Ameraucanas, bantam BBS Orps... Plus more chicks in the hatcher that I have no idea what to do with!

I thought, and still think, this started with the chicks that were in the brooder with the messy ducks. Could they have brooder pneumonia and they are passing the bacteria? Or is this something else? I am concerned because of that black cockerel I got that has the clear nasal discharge and the sneeze. I have been VERY careful to wash an disinfect when I work with him. But, he's in with 3 girls and none of them are sick (all in quarantine) So, obviously that's not contagious. I've had them for 2wks and no spread.

Some, please tell me you've dealt with something like this and what you did. OMG, I hope I don't have to cull everyone.

Add some sugar to the water, are they drinking? The sugar will help with the bitterness of the antibiotics. Check your feed. Are they eating? Is the feed commercially made, or buy the local mill? Is it medicated?

Fruit tree's in chicken run....Is this a good idea ? would it even grow with the high nitrogen of chicken poo ? would a certain kind of fruit do better than others ? hubby wants a cherry tree, I was thinking plum...

Help...especially those that have been to my place, is this even possible without the tree just being a waste??

I am freaking out!

Some one please, help me out here. I have a brooder full of sneezing & raspy breathing chicks. I am not kidding. It started with the older ones that were in with my ducks and now it has spread to almost everyone else. I had two that are gasping like they have something stuck in their throats. They did stop when they fall asleep. One passed since this morning. They have been on Duramycin for 3 days with more spread and no improvement. There is no eye or nose discharge. Just the sneezing and raspiness. Everyone is still eating & drinking and no one is acting cold.

I have NO idea what the heck to do! The chicks range from 5 days to nearly 3wks old. I have 150 chicks at stake - chocolates, Polish tolbunts, my restart of wheaten Ameraucanas, bantam BBS Orps... Plus more chicks in the hatcher that I have no idea what to do with!

I thought, and still think, this started with the chicks that were in the brooder with the messy ducks. Could they have brooder pneumonia and they are passing the bacteria? Or is this something else? I am concerned because of that black cockerel I got that has the clear nasal discharge and the sneeze. I have been VERY careful to wash an disinfect when I work with him. But, he's in with 3 girls and none of them are sick (all in quarantine) So, obviously that's not contagious. I've had them for 2wks and no spread.

Some, please tell me you've dealt with something like this and what you did. OMG, I hope I don't have to cull everyone.
hugs.gif
Hope this all works itself out for you

If I was you I'd call and talk to Peter Brown. He has always given me great advice instead of just throwing different types of antibiotics at them which isn't a good idea by guessing. With that many birds on the line I'd call ASAP. His phone number is on the first state vet supply website of his.

X2!!!

Hope they all make it through. I can only imagine what you must be feeling right now! Hang in there.

x3 I have only ever seen and heard of Peter giving excellent advice. He is a true chicken health expert.

Has anyone here ever purchased hatching eggs from Papa Brooder? Is he legit? Good quality stock? I love his variety and it would be quite easy to get my own layer flock going all at once.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom