Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Carbon county- new to chicken raising. Love it though!! We have 5 buff orps but are trying to trade because 3 are rosters. : (

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome aboard!
LOL....you win a free rooster!
lau.gif
too funny!!

Hello! I live about an hour outside of Pittsburgh. I have 3 Silkies, 3 Leghorns and 10 baby White Rock chicks. I'm going to incubate my first batch of mail ordered eggs this week. Its been one year since I got my first chicks from my teacher friend who hatched them for her class and now I'm a total chicken addict! My husband has to build a bigger coop ASAP! Just wanted to stop by and say hi!
welcome-byc.gif

So what made everyone want to get chickens?
hu.gif

Apart from always wanting to get chickens, this made my mind up

They aren't our chickens, we have a Mennonite family that own land near us and these girls and the rooster have been getting out & coming over to our yard eating the bugs etc
lol.png
They are so friendly and follow me around the yard & come and sit near me when I do the gardening lol

This is the coop hubby got me for mothers day, it isn't fancy and it is second hand from a local lady we know around here. It is insulated for winter time and the side door on the left of the pic opens up and it has a thick mesh so on warm days we can open it up and they will be nice and cool. I have since made a little ramp for them so when we get them they will be able to get in and out from the little door that is on the far left front.

We just have to work on fencing etc - the trees that are over the area we will have them provide sun and nice dappled shade for them so when they aren't free ranging they will be in their little fenced off area.

28 days till I get my chickens
wee.gif
not that I am counting
lau.gif

Last night after T-ball my wife and I told our 2yr old son and 4 yr old daughter, after they get their bath they can watch 1 TV show before bed. My daughter had a fit because she wanted to go see the chickens and ducks. My wife gave her the option of "TV Time" or "Chicken Time". Both kids chose "Chicken time". So, for about 20 minutes my kids and I sat out with the chickens and ducks.
After that there was no fussing going to bed, like some nights.

Last night after T-ball my wife and I told our 2yr old son and 4 yr old daughter, after they get their bath they can watch 1 TV show before bed. My daughter had a fit because she wanted to go see the chickens and ducks. My wife gave her the option of "TV Time" or "Chicken Time". Both kids chose "Chicken time". So, for about 20 minutes my kids and I sat out with the chickens and ducks.
After that there was no fussing going to bed, like some nights.
thumbsup.gif
Awesome!!

So thus far the chicken expansion project I have now amuses my entire family.

I ordered 25 chicks, 5 each of Black Cochin, Light Brahma, Dominique, Barred Rock, and SLW. Which were originally going to hatch on the 8th. Then I was told that they would have the 13th.

Imagine my surprise when I got a post office call on the 11th saying I had chicks.

Imagine further surprise when the very nice fellow at the hatchery called Monday the 13 to say they were putting my chicks on a truck. At which time I advised them that I had them already.

They said they pulled the extra order..
So imagine my greater surprise when the phone rang this morning and it was the post office...
ep.gif
th.gif

The hatchery was very nice again when I called today.

So some chickens for eating and some for laying has combined with my already here chickens to give me a total of 87... of which 13 are retiring layers and/or meaties..

Apparently, I am a cosmic chicken joke as I was going to get 3 orders. My family may even stop laughing when they see me sometime soon.
lau.gif

But as I live on a farm and have the space.. I'm going with the more the merrier instead of driving to return this set.

All are health and eating the FF so that's a good start..

Hello! I live about an hour outside of Pittsburgh. I have 3 Silkies, 3 Leghorns and 10 baby White Rock chicks. I'm going to incubate my first batch of mail ordered eggs this week. Its been one year since I got my first chicks from my teacher friend who hatched them for her class and now I'm a total chicken addict! My husband has to build a bigger coop ASAP! Just wanted to stop by and say hi!

Hi! I'm new to backyard chickens as well and a bit north of Pittsburgh.

I'm a new BYC gal in South Central PA. Does anyone have one 4-6 week pullet they can sell me? I had two but some evil person stole one! They other is by herself. Appreciate any help or leads. Tractor Supply told me that the Green Dragon in Ephrata might still have some. Just not sure what I will find or the minimum.
OR, I might have to order chicks and give one to some lucky person who needs another one. Let me know.
smile.png

I'm a new BYC gal in South Central PA. Does anyone have one 4-6 week pullet they can sell me? I had two but some evil person stole one! They other is by herself. Appreciate any help or leads. Tractor Supply told me that the Green Dragon in Ephrata might still have some. Just not sure what I will find or the minimum.
OR, I might have to order chicks and give one to some lucky person who needs another one. Let me know.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom