Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Quote: the only bantam I have experience with are serama and they are little a---holes...they attack on a regular basis
gig.gif
Can't argue with this one. I did have 1 nice Serama Roo though. (Just don't ask me about the others). My D'Anvers are pretty nasty too.
roll.png

Thanks! I'm gonna collect more opinions. I have a bantam BO in mind but I'm not sure if they're as nice as the LF.
Chipps:

My experience is all FL: for low key easy going, my Dorkings are the best.....next are my BO's....I have GLWs which are ok with the Dorks and BOs but are somewhat mean with the younger girls etc.....I have a pair of BC Marans and they are testy...and I have a baby Basque roo who's about as nice a guy as you could want...My main roo a CCL is also a really good guy....my two cents....I think there's a diff if you get a bunch of day olds that grow up together vs adding birds in...

Well folks:

My first foray into Sausage making ...bought a grinder from Harbor Freight....and bought a 10lb pork butt from Wegmans...$10.30....

Made 3lbs of Italian Sausage (emeril recipe), 3lbs breakfast sausage, (Altan Brown)...and had 2+lbs left of ground pork,(intend to make Wontons and Dumplings)

Haven't taste tested anything, but, I think you save about $2.00/pound .....who knows....

Went to the Delmont Apple N' Arts Festival yesterday and got this ADORABLE little sign. It was only $1!!

It's now hanging in the coop. How punny of me.

I want one for the coops (5) and the house!

I have a personal opinion question.

Those of you with bantam roosters, which breed is the most human-friendly?

Most people say 90% of bantam Cochins are nice. So far, I haven't had much luck. Byron (Mille Fleur) was all sorts of evil. His son, Junior, is not nearly as bad as him but if you look like a threat to his girls, I know he'll try teaching me a lesson. Mario is distant and doesn't pace the egg box like Junior. The black boys vary. The black I hatched from BYC's SuTillman's eggs is a SOB. The cockerel I bought from Jamie Matts is distant and doesn't get defensive when picking up his girls or him. My Tom Roebuck Jr. boy is sweet as ever. He'll wing dance while walking around his cage, but once my hand goes in he settles down and will come up to my hand to see if I have goodies for him. I can bet his chest and pick him up with no issues. Funny thing is, Jamie Matts' blacks came from Tom Roebuck Sr., so I am sure his and this Tom Jr. boy are distantly related.

My bantam Orps are nice so far. I have my main chocolate that will take a chance and he an idiot every once in awhile. A kick boot, carrying and hold down and he's good for a couple months. I have 2 of his sons growing out and they are dolls so far. I hatched a black from TKay's eggs and he's a doll, too. Sadly, he has a hock injury and I am not seeing any progress in his recovery.

I hatched bantam Ameraucanas from LittleAmeracauanMom's eggs. Flighty and mean. Never, ever again. I'll stick with the LF Ams.

Now, on serious note. I raise my birds like animals. Not like lap pets. They are utilitarian. So, their attitudes may very well be my own fault. On the other hand, I have had some of the sweetest birds ever raised as I raise them. Like Chippy, my OEGB hen. I am still sure more hands-on raising would more than likely make nicer birds.

the only bantam I have experience with are serama and they are little a---holes...they attack on a regular basis

:gig [COLOR=800080]Can't argue with this one. I did have 1 nice Serama Roo though. (Just don't ask me about the others). My D'Anvers are pretty nasty too.:rolleyes: [/COLOR]

Chipps:

My experience is all FL: for low key easy going, my Dorkings are the best.....next are my BO's....I have GLWs which are ok with the Dorks and BOs but are somewhat mean with the younger girls etc.....I have a pair of BC Marans and they are testy...and I have a baby Basque roo who's about as nice a guy as you could want...My main roo a CCL is also a really good guy....my two cents....I think there's  a diff if you get a bunch of day olds that grow up together vs adding birds in...

Thanks! I think I want a bantam roo that comes from a brown egg-laying breed. That way I can get some cool color combos.

big_smile.png
chippy- I have the same sign!! Too cool
thumbsup.gif
*Lisa- Your birds are very pretty.I totally agree with the DOTTES!!!
love.gif
more-more-more..and yes, I see "a little" difference in your "little red hen".
wink.png

*Stake- WOW!! ..sausage...I can not let the DH see this....we were just at "harbor freight"..I told him.."merry christmas"!
roll.png

*Wing- Chocolate peanut butter BEER??
sickbyc.gif
...I don't know about that one....let us know how that goes..
pop.gif

Finally finished the "pipe-feeder"...well, we have learned a GREAT deal today...it is working, doesn't look as aesthetically pleasing as I had planned. There is some things you learn..like, angles and the larger the pipe-maybe the better, and this thing called gravity that sometimes needs help...so, it is done, it works.. but I see a new plan in the future..next spring. I am really hoping the waterer goes better...biggest lesson learned today..."dry-run" everything first before you commit to putting holes in the roof of your coop or anything else for that matter. I have alot of pics, but I am going to make an "album" so as not to thread-hog...at some point..not tonight. Don't really want to think about feeders any more..
th.gif
..it really was a great lesson though. I have honed my dremel skills!!
bun.gif
..a little peek...
How it was SUPPOSED to look like ..
hmm.png

How it ENDED UP looking like...

I guess THIS is most important thing for now...they are diggin' it.

Hope everyone had a good day and a great night...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom