Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

HERE IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF A STYRO BATOR VS CoolerBATOR with a WAFER thermostat, and this is our CHEAPO cooler, even the lid if you look at the cutout of the top has NO INSULATION- Wafer THERMOSTATS are Ahmazing!

Story:
Last night DH decides to close the Coal stove half of what its been for days, Its only 62 when I woke up.

NOTE COOLERBATOR TEMP 6AM
NOTE the Styro TEMP 6AM

IF HE DIDNT KILL the 7 day old EMBRYOS I will be amazed, its going to take me half the day to get it back up and then to stable it, plus he opened up the coal stove because its only 62 upstairs today. Hubs tells me he closed it around 10 pm so it was cooling from 10 pm to 6 am

IF THAT IS NOT ENOUGH REASON for disliking Styrofoam incubators with crappy thermostats I can give you a BOAT LOAD OF OTHER REASONS.

That pic is way too cute!!!

I think mine need to stretch their legs too today. We were getting another 4 inches last night so I didn't shovel out yesterday, looks like I will have to today before they all kill each other!

~~Well all 7 of Rosie's eggs hatched... 6 happy and active, last one was shrink wrapped though (we found it nearly out of the shell but with a bunch of membrane dried to it) and had just a bit of hernia on it's back end. We put a spray of Blue-kot on it to prevent it getting pecked at and reduce infection risk and tucked it back under her to dry out, mother nature will decide if it makes it or not, it wasn't easy to leave it but I don't think we could do anything better for it than mamma hen, and she will be better able to control temp and humidity that will give the chick it's best chance. A few pics to warm up a cold February evening.... I picked up my SPR hatching eggs today also, was 6 hours round trip but now 2 more broody hens are happily setting on them, and we now have another Pencil who started sitting yesterday (finally committed and plucked her chest, so I'm pretty confident she is going to stay put). If she sticks to her nest for 2 more days we will give her 8 or 10 eggs and by the first week of March we should be chick happy!
Oh Lawrd! How cute are these?! Thanks for sharing.

these are Black East Indie ducklings,,,this is my bantam breed of duck

my full size ducks are french white muscovy

How big do bantam ducks get?  I have to admit, I am very uneducated when it comes to ducks, though Galgo has me convinced we will get some in the future when we have property that is more waterfowl friendly. (she gave us a crash course on duck benefits when we talked at the Mother Earth Fair last fall)

Quality call ducks are under 1 pound. Average is 1-2 pounds. Quality black east indies are 2 pounds. Average is 2-3 pounds. Indian runners are not true bantams but quality would be 3 pounds & average would be 3-4 pounds. The mallard averages 3-4 pounds. Everything else starts at 5 pounds or more.

Thank you all for all the broody compliments... but we have been blessed with some amazing luck on great broody hens! I absolutely love seeing a broody do her job and we do all we can to enable the hens if they show interest. But I think that having one or two good broody hens helps teach the whole flock a bit about it! 3 who are currently broody (all under a year old) were all raised here by broody hens... the 4th used to spend hours at the broody pen watching Gracie and her babies in December, it was so cute to watch her, so it wasn't a total surprise to see her in the nest box in January.

Sally, that is an average temp flucuation for me,,,my house does not hold any temperatures, hot all day and freezing at night........I managed to hatch with that,,,,I think those eggs will be just fine..

Blarney, how about I keep posting as they grow then come late summer when they start to lay eggs, you go ahead and throw them in the bator, then you can say you got eggs and didn't know that they were ducks.

Blarney, how about I keep posting as they grow then come late summer when they start to lay eggs, you go ahead and throw them in the bator, then you can say you got eggs and didn't know that they were ducks.

This is the ultimate in enabling.... plausible denial.... I love it!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom