Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

GM all:

Relocated 9 chicks from my brooder to a friend....the remaining 7 will stay, and my #2roo will be re-located in a few days.....assuming all goes well, I'll have

3CCL boys(one roo), two CCL pullets, one OE, one mixed Dork, one Showgirl Silkie, two BOs, one GLW, one SG Dork, two BC Marans...and one Marans sitting on three eggs..

B:

I still have the abacus
and no, don't remember ever being served a beer by you....(could be a memory thing).....

Here's a link to some chicken genetics....makes my head spin .......http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html

Chicken garden video tour. No, it is not a video on how to grow a chicken. Though these will help!
goodpost.gif

Awesome link! I am trying to get some herbs together for my chickens. I just picked up mint, rosemary, basil, thyme and sage. Will be picking up more herbs!

I'm thinking of getting ducks not sure what kinds. Does anyone have suggestions? Also need a dog box to keep them in? I'm going to go to green Dragon Friday looking?

What are you looking for in a duck?
Eggs , some lay better than others.
Do you want a flyer?
Some like to swim more than others?
Size?

[COLOR=0000FF]Yes, Stake and I went to the same High School, but I believe the teachers he had were retired by the time I got there.  [/COLOR]:oops:   [COLOR=0000FF]I think they sold his abacus by then too.    [/COLOR]

:lau   

[COLOR=0000FF]Today's lesson...How do you Spell Enabler???[/COLOR]

Here's how you spell it: G-O-G-E-T T-H-E-M ;)

:p

3 roosters, 1 wheaten, 2 MF

5 hens all MF

What percentage of the chicks are hatching yellow vs black? Can you remove the wheaten roo to get pure MF chicks?

What I've found so far is the MF pattern if a combination of pied and mottled, both recessive. The wheaten roo probably has neither of these (unless his ancestry included some MF birds - he could be hiding those traits). If he has neither gene, none of the chicks from him will show any trace of the MF pattern, though they will carry them. Because the 2 traits are independently inherited, if you cross 2 of those normal looking progeny (the F1's), you will only get a MF patterned bird 1/16 of the time. If you cross one of the F1's back to a pure MF parent (or a sibling that was from one of your MF roos). then 1/4 of the babies will be MF. Doing that might still be worthwhile if the wheaten roo is good in other ways.

If you are getting black chicks, you might have some black mottled or black pieds in this or subsequent generations. Mottled is a fairly common color in many breeds, kind of a reverse splash looking bird. Pied is the gene that makes exchequer leghorns. Combined, they make the MF pattern back, though whether you would ever get the orange base color back IDK.

I only set 5 eggs each week for them...3 of them hatched, 2 black, 1 yellow.

The wheaten roo will stay just because we are buddies, And last week he earned his place....remember those 37 white rock chicks, well they are in that pen and this boy takes care of them just like a broody would, it is funny to watch but he will sleep on the floor with them and they are all over him.

That Wheaton had a sibling from the same hatch, I gave her away, she was the little mottled or splash, which ever you would call it..

I have very few eggs from that pen now, all but 1 hen has gone broody, wonder if putting those chicks in there had anything to do with it.

Do you guys think this will be big enough for my silkie ducks? I do have an open run for them but afraid hawks will eat them, and also note the indoor outdoor carpet????  assuming that gets hosed off or something?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/622377/ducklings-and-building-a-duck-house#post_8287262

I am not familiar with the breed, and not all ducks are messy, Muscovy ducklings usually do not slop in water.
Those I can keep in a regular brooder with chicks,

Not sure if he has time or what he would charge but CC makes his own rabbit cages...
1 of mine came from TSC and the other from an auction...the auction one has no pan and gets used in the barn over top the pit , so everything drops in there but you could easily put something down to catch the mess..

The ducklings also seem to stay dryer on the open floor compared to a normal brooder, just my opinion but they seem to be healthier this way, and I am sure the chickens are happier

Back
Top Bottom