Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

i have one confirmed developer out of 8 eggs. A little disappointing considering the roo's on her back every 5 seconds. What does mottled over black typically produce?

I had a guy tell me the babies would be black and I'd have to breed them to each other to get the mottled gene. The thing is the black that I have may carry the mottled gene, I don't know.

i have one confirmed developer out of 8 eggs. A little disappointing considering the roo's on her back every 5 seconds. What does mottled over black typically produce?

I had a guy tell me the babies would be black and I'd have to breed them to each other to get the mottled gene. The thing is the black that I have may carry the mottled gene, I don't know.

Mottled is recessive, so if the black parent is split for mottled, you can't tell until you see what the babies look like. If the F1's (the babies you are hatching now) are not mottled, you will know for certain they are split for mottled, so you can use that to plan the next generation. I know you'd like to see mottled chicks, and I hope you do, but you know for certain the genotype of these chicks (unlike the black parent, which is a mystery now).

Here's how they will turn out:
F1's:
look black - split (heterozygous) for mottled
look mottled - homozygous for mottled

F2's from crossing 2 black F1's:
25% mottled
75% black, but 2/3's of the black ones will be split for mottled. You will not know which ones until you breed from them.

F2 from crossing a black F1 to the mottled parent:
50% mottled
50% black, but all the blacks split for mottled like the F1's were

Quote: wing calls them dinner, blarney calls them sold
hu.gif

Mottled is recessive, so if the black parent is split for mottled, you can't tell until you see what the babies look like. If the F1's (the babies you are hatching now) are not mottled, you will know for certain they are split for mottled, so you can use that to plan the next generation. I know you'd like to see mottled chicks, and I hope you do, but you know for certain the genotype of these chicks (unlike the black parent, which is a mystery now).

Here's how they will turn out:
F1's:
look black - split (heterozygous) for mottled
look mottled - homozygous for mottled

F2's from crossing 2 black F1's:
25% mottled
75% black, but 2/3's of the black ones will be split for mottled. You will not know which ones until you breed from them.

F2 from crossing a black F1 to the mottled parent:
50% mottled
50% black, but all the blacks split for mottled like the F1's were

Thank you so much!!! :)

I think I've officially gone around the bend...the 3 yo talked me into getting him khaki campbell ducklings. Rather than put them down in the basement in the brooder....I have them in a bucket...in the kitchen. And rather than shavings....I'm using towels. Yes towels...and each day we completely clean the bucket and wash the towels....

Back
Top Bottom