Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I picked up my chicks from TSC as well. :( I got my silkies a month ago and the BAs 3 weeks ago. I wonder if they came from Mt. Healthy :( I always wash my hands after handling the chicks and taking care of them. I know that anything that lays an egg or came from an egg can carry Salmonella. I have lizards and always wash my hands after handling and taking care of them. I tell my kids if you touch them to wash your hands and explained to them about Salmonella.

How can Mt. Healthy still be in business if they keep having health issues? Do I need to worry about my chicks being sick? What does Salmonella do to chicks?

Speaking of feed, I am using a non-medicated pheasant and turkey starter crumble (28%) from Southern States

My first question is, do they make a pellet starter of any brand? The ground is covered in food, and I am tired of it being wasted.
Second, if I take the feeder out, will they eat that food off the ground?
And my third question. Why is a meat bird starter so low in protein, when the higher is supposed to be better?

They don't want you to blow there legs out. That is really high protein! You FF right?

Wow! I think i just read 20 pages to get caught up with you guys-and now i have a sudden urge to buy anything fluffy with wings, thanks. On another note, i put our 3 week old golden laced hens out for their first "free range", they were excited to say the least (not so much when one of our NHR crowed next to them). Which reminds me- get rid of roosters....

Anyone with semi-aggressive roosters and children- the easiest thing to do is get rid of them. Our first rooster was a Dominique and he was really a great rooster, until he attacked my 3 year old three times. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt- was it because she was his size? Was it because she was wearing a certain color? In the end, he met some buck shot out of the 12 gauge because i couldn't rein in my emotion when he attacked her again. Bottom line (and I'm a newbie!) Don't keep them if they are aggressive of any sort toward kids (seriously, my kid wouldn't go outside for God's sake). 

On feed- i feed just a layer pellet (my hens waste a lot of it's anything else) from a local mill here in Manheim, although i'm drawing a blank on the name right now. McCracken i think? And as Wingstone can tell you about the rooster we processed, grapes and mac and cheese is how we roll around here (possibly why we have evidence of a rat in the compost?!). 

Congrats to all the new people and the people who have hatched! Now i want quail ... and ducks.... and meat chickens... and new rabbits ..... dang it!!!

Between wingstone and I we can probably fill all your wants! And the scary part is, I'm just as close as she is, I'm on the Milton Grove side of Mount Joy.

I have ducks in the incubator, and baby rabbits when you feel the need, lol.

I had multi quotes marked and they just vanished, not going back...

I bbokmarked a few of those links for tomorrow when my head is not foggy...

MC, heather had a really good answer for you on the meatie feed, I take that a little farther, I just do not like to feed high protein, even if it goes against what all the experts say, I would rather experiment and go with what works for me and the flock...

Amber was right, her flock eats better than I do, those grapes were still whole and didn't look bad,,,nnnoooo, not even I would do that...

CC, hubby still wants a pair of rabbits, says he could care less if they are brother and sister, he only plans on eating the future generations...

dheltzel, glad to see the hodebar are doing what they are suppose to, bummer that they both have to be roosters..

I had multi quotes marked and they just vanished, not going back...

I bbokmarked a few of those links for tomorrow when my head is not foggy...

MC, heather had a really good answer for you on the meatie feed, I take that a little farther, I just do not like to feed high protein, even if it goes against what all the experts say, I would rather experiment and go with what works for me and the flock...

Amber was right, her flock eats better than I do, those grapes were still whole and didn't look bad,,,nnnoooo, not even I would do that...

CC, hubby still wants a pair of rabbits, says he could care less if they are brother and sister, he only plans on eating the future generations...

dheltzel, glad to see the hodebar are doing what they are suppose to, bummer that they both have to be roosters..

I hatched 3 pullets in previous weeks, so getting roos this weeks in less disappointing. I love that I can sex them at hatch, but I feel like I should cull them early because I know they are males, but I don't want to.
hmm.png

So, if I'm reading correctly, as long as my flock is showing no signs of diarrhea, fluffy scraggly feathers, or just looking sick, they're probably ok. Which means we're probably ok. I mean, yeah, I will still refrain from licking them, though it's gonna be hard XD
But as long as we just use the common sense we always have, like washing hands after doing anything around the chicken coop we should be ok I guess. There are no more chicks in the house anyway. And when they WERE in the house, it was down in the basement. Which we've since thoroughly dusted and de feathered.

You're building a coop for chicks that aren't even hatched yet? I can't imagine planning that far ahead. Well, planning maybe, but actually doing, never.
hahah I need to because there isn't really anywhere for them to go once there old enough, aha

So, if I'm reading correctly, as long as my flock is showing no signs of diarrhea, fluffy scraggly feathers, or just looking sick, they're probably ok. Which means we're probably ok. I mean, yeah, I will still refrain from licking them, though it's gonna be hard XD
But as long as we just use the common sense we always have, like washing hands after doing anything around the chicken coop we should be ok I guess. There are no more chicks in the house anyway. And when they WERE in the house, it was down in the basement. Which we've since thoroughly dusted and de feathered.

The Rules:
1) chicken licking - always a bad idea
2) finger licking - only if chicken is well prepared, or from KFC

The Rules:
1) chicken licking - always a bad idea
2) finger licking - only if chicken is well prepared, or from KFC
So licking chickens IS safe and ok if they've first been batter dipped and pressure boiled in hot oil for about fifteen minutes?

I shall have to make note of that. ^_^

Back
Top Bottom