Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I only have one phone and the voicemail is full and I don't know the password! I'll get you the number.

Nice to know people care.

I was reading an article the other day about 2015 being the year of getting connected. Everything linked through the internet and able to be controlled from anywhere. Is it odd I'm working to disconnect? My phone is my only internet connection, I'm working on a small solar array (400 watts of panels for now), etc.

People are right, compared to normal society, I am weird.

you're not alone there! We just set up our first set of panels and are working on figuring everything out. We only have 45 watts so far but we're testing it out on the coop. So far so good :) we also both dropped our cell phone plans and now only have a landline (taboo for most people our age) and Internet. We're working to get a wood insert in and enough solar panels to eventually get off grid.

Last edited:
I have one rooster that is 3 years old and a few others that are going on three years. I have no plans on killing any of them any time soon. 2 of them were my main breeders in 2013 and 2014. This year I will be using them again, but not quite as heavily. Last Spring I had a 15+ year old hen finally die on me.
:th what's your secret?!
My neighbor has hens who are a decade or so that still lay enough eggs to sell. True Rhode Island Reds.
What's your secret? Maybe happy hens live longer?
I just loaded my incubator with 44 eggs. Will be looking forward to what hatches for me. Most of the eggs are from my free ranging flock. Sometimes I'll do a few eggs double layer and when I candle there are usually enough of the pullet eggs that aren't fertile to bring it down to one layer. Cubalaya and Cuabalaya crosses.
Wishing you the best for your hatch!
Is that a casserole dish? If I tell my wife I have eggs cooking, she expects something to eat, not something like this.
:lau
Glad to see you're still alive. We thought you were abducted by aliens.
X2!

So this is Fancypants Jr. He is an exact replica of his namesake. We bought 3 little black chicks at an auction when we first started keeping chickens. He was hatched last spring and Sr. died last fall. His tail isn't as long as yet as his poppa but he's still young. Has the same mild disposition and all. He's bantam suze. Any idea what breed he may be?

So this is Fancypants Jr. He is an exact replica of his namesake. We bought 3 little black chicks at an auction when we first started keeping chickens. He was hatched last spring and Sr. died last fall. His tail isn't as long as yet as his poppa but he's still young. Has the same mild disposition and all. He's bantam suze. Any idea what breed he may be?

Has Old English Game Bantam in him, may not be pure.

I live in Chester County PA and am looking to rehome 7 4 month old ducklings for someone who wants them as pets: 2 khaki/rouen mixes and 5 male rouens. I'm not sure about the gender of the mixed ones yet but I think they're males. They're adult feathers aren't in yet so I'm just trying to go by their quack.

I think it is official. My little silkie that just started to lay eggs is now broody. She started to lay about 2 weeks ago. First I thought she was sick or cold, staying in the coop laying down. When I went to check for eggs 2 days ago, she tried to smoosh my hand under her butt like my broodies do when I check for eggs. This is not the time of the year to go broody. We keep taking her eggs away and she keeps sitting. Argh I really hate trying to break a broody silkie, they don't give up! No way little baby silkies can survive out side in this nasty cold weather.

In other news I found out I have at least one male and one female cory cat in my 125 gallon fish tank. Seen 2 little baby cories swimming around the tank today. Hubby thought I managed to sneak in a new fish lol.

I think it is official. My little silkie that just started to lay eggs is now broody. She started to lay about 2 weeks ago. First I thought she was sick or cold, staying in the coop laying down. When I went to check for eggs 2 days ago, she tried to smoosh my hand under her butt like my broodies do when I check for eggs. This is not the time of the year to go broody. We keep taking her eggs away and she keeps sitting. Argh I really hate trying to break a broody silkie, they don't give up! No way little baby silkies can survive out side in this nasty cold weather.

In other news I found out I have at least one male and one female cory cat in my 125 gallon fish tank. Seen 2 little baby cories swimming around the tank today. Hubby thought I managed to sneak in a new fish lol.

you'd be surprised how well a broody can do in these temps. I know I was!

I have had two pullets this year go broody with the first eggs they laid. One is some black, fat game bantam, and the other is a silkie x game bantam. The black one, Crow, tried three times to hatch but it kept failing, and the second one, Nimue... she quit today. I have a homemade incubator rigged up in my room. The eggs are supposed to hatch any day now.

I don't want to loose any chicks with all this cold weather. I would be so upset if one dies from the cold. Last year when it was -30 degrees I lost a silkie that was a few months old that froze to death. I can't see how little new borns would survive. No chicks in the house for us this winter. The dust is too much and my asthma has been acting up this year. I really don't want to cave in and let her hatch some eggs. She is so tiny don't know how she will keep them warm.

Back
Top Bottom