Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

aha, I don't need a gator either... But that's not saying I havent looked....
hide.gif
You know that gator might grow big and eat your chickens, right?
I guess then you'd have an excuse to get more chickens.

For those of you experienced with broodys, do they go into "lockdown" mode like you guys do with your incubators? Her eggs are due to hatch in a couple days, and I'm just wondering if she will be stuck on the nest for those two days....

For those of you experienced with broodys, do they go into "lockdown" mode like you guys do with your incubators? Her eggs are due to hatch in a couple days, and I'm just wondering if she will be stuck on the nest for those two days....

Not really as extreme as 'incubator' lockdown, but mine do tend to stick much closer to the nest the last two days, breaks are very short and once they start 'talking' to the eggs I rarely see them back out of the nest until hatch is done.

What are everyone's favorite pickling recipes for quail eggs? I'm fond of pickling with beets. My husband likes to reuse the hot juice from the hot bolonga jars (ew). I have reused half sour pickle juice and it was okay.

What are everyone's favorite pickling recipes for quail eggs?  I'm fond of pickling with beets.  My husband likes to reuse the hot juice from the hot bolonga jars (ew).  I have reused half sour pickle juice and it was okay.

I don't eat picked eggs, but I make them for others. They seem to think they are good.

Half beet juice, half cider vinegar, half stick of cinnamon. Put eggs in jar, with cinnamon. Cover with juice. Refrigerate.

Not really as extreme as 'incubator' lockdown, but mine do tend to stick much closer to the nest the last two days, breaks are very short and once they start 'talking' to the eggs I rarely see them back out of the nest until hatch is done.

Good to know! This broody has gotten off the nest 3 times a day sometimes, i wasn't sure how the hatch rate would be. But I did consider that when she last sat on eggs in December it was about 32*. Obviously, it's been much warmer recently, so I supposed they would hardly cool down. Now I am back at work and can't be snoopy. They are due to hatch on Saturday. Last time her eggs were a day early, which is amazing considering it was so cold. It's so exciting!

Yikes! It's so warm out there my butterhead lettuce is starting to bolt. Yeesh, I barely got to eat any. The romaine is still coming though. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom