Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Is anybody in Central PA looking for a sebbie gosling? I also have three Shetland sheep lambs available and will have some rainbow layer chicks available in a few days.

Lambs? I want lambs! I want chicks and geese and ducks and cows and llamas and alpacas...
th.gif
You aren't fair. No fair at all. Nope. Can't do it

Is anybody in Central PA looking for a sebbie gosling? I also have three Shetland sheep lambs available and will have some rainbow layer chicks available in a few days.

what are you asking for the sheep? My husband had mentioned getting sheep before. I don't know if we're ready or not but it doesn't hurt to ask lol

have a question, had a chick hatched that was in the shell to long, the toes are not working and are curled under, the question, how to straighten them out, how to make the boots for him?

cardboard box (an old tissue box or tp roll does fine, thinner cardboard is better but whatever) cut in the shape of a normal foot then tape their toes to it in a straight position with electrical tape

Last edited:
:D

Single ram

Same twin ewe as below :D

Twin ewe

Twin ram

I'm hoping to get $250 for each ram lamb and $300 for the ewe lamb. That covers ear tagging/scrapies, ivermectin preventative, CD/T and pastuerella vaccinations and booster and NASSA registration. That's a mouthful to say, LOL! I could do better if a pair or all three go at once, of course. :)

Shetlands can be milked and have a delicately flavored, tender meat (even the mutton) and the wool can be used for spinning projects. Shetlands are the perfect homestead type sheep, being tri-purpose and still small enough for almost anybody to handle. They are also extremely hardy and can survive on pasture and mineral. I only grain ewes in milk, while milking (just enough to keep them standing and patient), the ram and lambs only get mineral and hay over winter. Very, very efficient homestead animals.

I wanted alpacas, but the horror stories... Apparently they often need to be tied to be maintained (shearing and toenail trimming) and are just nasty little boogers. :(

Last edited:
Good luck on your hatch. Did any more hatch yet?

M:
Its been a tough hatch....broody hatched three then abandoned the rest of the eggs....all looked good on Day 1, then something happened to a CCL chick....I brought it back inside after mom abandoned it in the coop....it didn't make it....

From the bater, the first four went well....then three pips never got....had another BH hatch with umbilical attached...it isn't going to make it....had a fifth make it and am hoping for some late bloomers.....so far one Dork, one BH and three CCL....

at the two week candling I was about 75% good (according to my candling skills)....so there were some quitters..in the mix...

Lastly, I will have a chick or two or three for you....

:D Single ram Same twin ewe as below :D Twin ewe Twin ram I'm hoping to get $250 for each ram lamb and $300 for the ewe lamb. That covers ear tagging/scrapies, ivermectin preventative, CD/T and pastuerella vaccinations and booster and NASSA registration. That's a mouthful to say, LOL! I could do better if a pair or all three go at once, of course. :) Shetlands can be milked and have a delicately flavored, tender meat (even the mutton) and the wool can be used for spinning projects. Shetlands are the perfect homestead type sheep, being tri-purpose and still small enough for almost anybody to handle. They are also extremely hardy and can survive on pasture and mineral. I only grain ewes in milk, while milking (just enough to keep them standing and patient), the ram and lambs only get mineral and hay over winter. Very, very efficient homestead animals. I wanted alpacas, but the horror stories... Apparently they often need to be tied to be maintained (shearing and toenail trimming) and are just nasty little boogers. :(
Huge alpaca farm up the road from me if you ever want some. Seeing them and knowing what they need was enough to stop me from wanting them.

A few pictures as I was putting the birds away for the night...

Turkeys found a new place to roost... the top of the coop is covered in poop
sickbyc.gif

The heritage birds for my meaty project say chicken tractors are just for fat birds... we want to roost in the tree with the other turkeys! They couldn't even be swayed by an evening meal in the tractor. Delaware and dark Cornish (DC on the left, harder to see in the dark)

My future broodies from CC... they were desperately trying to get out of their quarantine crate... my guess is they really wanted to roost too. My 7yo accidentally let them out with the other birds for a treat this afternoon and they seemed to well with the meaties, but the turkeys weren't too fond of them. These orps are very skittish and don't like to be handled (yet, haha) so catching them to put them back in the crate was fun.

I also got to chase a meat rabbit around the yard today because one of the girls left the cage unlatched. Thankfully he's really scared of the chickens so he kept returning to his cage area and I was able to catch him and put him away. I really thought he was gone for a while until there was a big commotion by the chicken run.

have a question, had a chick hatched that was in the shell to long, the toes are not working and are curled under, the question, how to straighten them out, how to make the boots for him?

I use a bandage tape. It sticks to itself but not their toes. I replaced it everyday to make sure the toes were staying. I just put one piece on the bottom and top just big enough to spread the toes correctly and have enough to "close" together....it only took a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom