Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I'm not sure what type of traps you are using. If leghold, when I was younger and trapped, I suspended the bait (generally dead chicken from the neighborhood chicken house I worked in). Of course I also boiled and waxed the traps and handled with rubber gloves, etc.

Still limited success, but there weren't as many predators then, people actually killed them, they weren't as "protected"

didn't know the traps needed to be boiled....I have "Duke" traps.....

Foxes are easy to hold but a coon (Coon Cuffs)or Yote(4 coil #3) can be tough.I use good #2 Monty's but there are others also.I also use homemade Earth Anchors.Real tough to get out.I usually dig them out if I want them back.
Boiling takes the oils off they can smell.Waxing is done by putting bees was and reg Gulf wax in the water.Boil and pull traps thru to put a thin coat on to prevent them from rusting and smelling the steel.
You don't want the food under the trap.You want it about 8-9" behind the food.Distance between nose and front foot.Do a Youtube search for dirt hole fox sets.In the winter a hay set works also.Males can be caught doing on a post like male dogs do.Marking their home turf!
Law states the bait can't be visible from the air to protect hawks,owls,crows,etc.
Adjust the trap pan so it sits perfectly level.This gives higher catches on the leg instead of toes.
Use a pan cover or poly fill under the pan so dirt doesn't get underneath it.

Do your homework to catch them and not educate them.:thumbsup

Last edited:
Attention Southeast PA and south Jersey (around Philadelphia and up to two hours away from the city):

Good morning! Does anyone have any ready to lay pullets or young laying hens (1 year or younger) that they are looking to sell? I am looking to increase my brood and cannot put babies in with my laying hens. If you are selling or know somewhere I can go for purchasing, please PM me or email me at [email protected].

Thank you!

If anyone has need of any roosters, I have a welsummer, a blue ameraucana, a silkie mix, a bunch of olive eggers, black copper marans, and blue copper marans. This is their last chance. They go to freezer camp in a couple weeks.

welcome-byc.gif

It has been a week, and today I saw a big change in my flock. When I approached the coop, everyone was in the run, three were chilling out, and three were looking for icky things (I really hate worms!). No one freaking that I was approaching was normal. It was that when I opened the storage door next to the run, Reba and Steven went to the run door, as though they were waiting for treats. Then, all six stayed outside the whole time I was there. Even Bonnie! As I was spending time talking to them, Bonnie was even preening near me (the first time I've seen her do more than nervously eat scratch or just run into the coop) and was calmly exploring a branch that is leaning against the roost.. With me just outside the fence. I also saw that Melissa has developed a red comb and wattles.
yesss.gif

Behold! All six chickens in one picture!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom