Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I have a question: are all the green egg layers having blue and brown egg genes? There is a PURE breed Green-egg-layer chicken (Yes, that's their Chinese name.) that exists thousands of years and all of them lay green eggs. If they have both blue and brown egg genes, then at least 25% of them should lay brown eggs, right? Here is how they look like:

http://www.wanwan.com.tw/viewthread.php?tid=3201&extra=page=1

(Their eggs are the very uniform green color. If you scroll down see the pile of brown-green eggs, that's from British EEs for comparison.)

By the way, does any one know if I can find those chickens in USA? It would be fun to have one.

No, if they are homozygous for both blue and brown, they will lay green eggs and will breed 100% true to that.
There are many (at least 7, from what I recall reading) genes that influence the amount of brown pigment. Some interact and probably some are independent. Some increase and some decrease the amount of pigment deposited on the egg. It's all very confusing and could make producing a true breeding green egg layer non-trivial, but it's certainly possible to do. Isbars are an example of a breed that is true breeding for green eggs. They are not common, but I've seen them advertised on Craislist at least once in the Reading area, so definitely possible to obtain.

No, if they are homozygous for both blue and brown, they will lay green eggs and will breed 100% true to that.
There are many (at least 7, from what I recall reading) genes that influence the amount of brown pigment. Some interact and probably some are independent. Some increase and some decrease the amount of pigment deposited on the egg. It's all very confusing and could make producing a true breeding green egg layer non-trivial, but it's certainly possible to do. Isbars are an example of a breed that is true breeding for green eggs. They are not common, but I've seen them advertised on Craislist at least once in the Reading area, so definitely possible to obtain.
Thanks. It's good to know. I was so confused about how green egg layers can breed true, now I understand.

I have a question: are all the green egg layers having blue and brown egg genes? There is a PURE breed Green-egg-layer chicken (Yes, that's their Chinese name.) that exists thousands of years and all of them lay green eggs. If they have both blue and brown egg genes, then at least 25% of them should lay brown eggs, right? Here is how they look like:

http://www.wanwan.com.tw/viewthread.php?tid=3201&extra=page=1

(Their eggs are the very uniform green color. If you scroll down see the pile of brown-green eggs, that's from British EEs for comparison.)

By the way, does any one know if I can find those chickens in USA? It would be fun to have one.

Wow!!! They are gorgeous! And I really love the hens with the black faces and black eyes... I have a barnuard mix similar and call her Jeckle, her sister Heckle is similar but has red wattles.

Wonder what their average weights are...if the are a large fowl breed I would be very interested in them!

Thank you for posting them, I have never seen them before.

Wow!!! They are gorgeous! And I really love the hens with the black faces and black eyes... I have a barnuard mix similar and call her Jeckle, her sister Heckle is similar but has red wattles.

Wonder what their average weights are...if the are a large fowl breed I would be very interested in them!

Thank you for posting them, I have never seen them before.
I agree they are a very unique breed. And the green-blue eggs are just gorgeous. I'm not sure if they are large fowl-- hen is about 3 bl. and roo is about 4 bl, avg. 180 eggs/year. The eggs are large fowl egg size. They are one of the oldest breeds existing and have a history for over one thousand years. It's a shame that Chinese breeders are trying to mix them with other breeds to improve the weight and egg production and not care about the breed itself. Now it's so difficult to find a pure-breed one. The roo should be purely black (face, wattle, etc.) too, but he is not a pure breed.

Last edited:
The chickens themselves are cool and the large, colored eggs makes it even better.

Add to wish list.
wink.png

And they are very docile birds.
big_smile.png
I would like to have one, but don't know where to find them in the USA.

Auro:

There's only a few hand guns that have the nut to knock down an adult bear....please don't go out under armed.....be noisy,,,and anything short of a .45 240grain is too light...(even that load is marginal)...my two cents,,,(sorry if I come off preachy)

If I ran into a bear in the middle of the woods, I can assure you I would become Bruce Jenner (well the old one, not the "new" one) and I don't know if we would resolve whether a bear poops in the woods if nobody is there to see it, but I would! Oh and there would be lots and lots of screaming!
wee.gif

Last edited:
A 9mm would just make it madder. If your going to take something out with you take BEAR SPRAY rather than going with something under powered. Also would work wonders on any two legged attackers (be they poultry or humanoid). Either that or just carry a chicken with you where ever you go and if a bear charges throw the chicken at it (to distract it) and run like heck.

I could always carry the .223 around but that may be a bit cumbersome. Maybe just keep it in reach. I'll be outside later working so maybe I'll just bring it out with me.

If I ran into a bear in the middle of the woods, I can assure you I would become Bruce Jenner (well the old one, not the "new" one) and I don't know if we would resolve whether a bear poops in the woods if nobody is there to see it, but I would! Oh and there would be lots and lots of screaming!
wee.gif
Just remember to take a slow running friend with you that way you don't have to outrun the bear....just your friend
lau.gif
and yes a bear does poop in the woods.....I figured that out one year while bear hunting.

Back
Top Bottom