Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hello everybody! What do I feed turkey poults? They should be hatching tomorrow or maybe even tonight. Can I just give them chick starter? Or is flock raiser better? Thanks! Fingers crossed!

I use flock raiser or chick starter. i *think* both are 20%.  lately it's been flock raiser for everything, just to keep it simple. I've only ever raised heritage breed.  I don't use medicated feed for any of my birds.  I generally throw a little dirt/grass in the brooder after the first couple days to grow immunity. Not that I could find any dirt or grass right now. My poor dog keeps trying to dig down to dirt then looks at me like :confused:

Flock Raiser is only 18%. I never use medicated feed either. Distiller's grain (25% protein) can be mixed with any feed as a protein booster but works best fermented or in a wet mash since it's a powder. I have a couple places around here that carry 21-24% protein feeds, but they are expensive & not always in stock. Distiller's is readily available & very cheap.

Last edited:
Flock Raiser is only 18%. I never use medicated feed either. Distiller's grain (25% protein) can be mixed with any feed as a protein booster but works best fermented or in a wet mash since it's a powder. I have a couple places around here that carry 21-24% protein feeds, but they are expensive & not always in stock. Distiller's is readily available & very cheap.

You must not be buying the same Flock Raiser that I do. Cause mine is 20%.

Flock Raiser is only 18%. I never use medicated feed either. Distiller's grain (25% protein) can be mixed with any feed as a protein booster but works best fermented or in a wet mash since it's a powder. I have a couple places around here that carry 21-24% protein feeds, but they are expensive

You must not be buying the same Flock Raiser that I do. Cause mine is 20%.

You're right. I went & looked it up. It can still be boosted with distiller's to make a higher protein mix.

Looking for rare color Brahma chickens to start a breeding program. I'm in NW PA. 45 acre farm. We pretty much free range our chicken right now but I want to get into some serious breeding. I have investigated most of the breeds and Brahma chickens are the way I want to go.

Also looking for a mentor/co-breeder willing to share knowledge and swap chickens.

Thank you in advance.

Back
Top Bottom