Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I have some newbie questions:
1. Does any one know if a rat can chew through chicken wire? I'm setting up a 2'x4' large dog cage for brooder now, want to wrap it with chicken wire or hardware cloth to stop chicks from escaping and protect them from rats. Chicken wire is cheaper and easier for me to cut. I also have hardware cloth that can be used.

2. I'm going to use this mama heating pad system( with a extra heating pad and a heating lamp as backups):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

Do I still wrap the cage with plastic to stop draft?

3. Should I use a cat carrier (no escaping) or a cardboard box (better air flowing) to pick up chicks? I'll put a heating pad inside to keep them warm.

Chicks are coming within one month! I have been waited since last summer. Just ordered 50 lb. organic chick starter and 11 lb. meal worms and dozens of other items (medicines, treats, supplements, herbs, bedding, etc. ). It's not like I'm excited or anything!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
1. Does any one know if a rat can chew through chicken wire? I'm setting up a 2'x4' large dog cage for brooder now, want to wrap it with chicken wire or hardware cloth to stop chicks from escaping and protect them from rats. Chicken wire is cheaper and easier for me to cut. I also have hardware cloth that can be used.

2. I'm going to use this mama heating pad system( with a extra heating pad and a heating lamp as backups):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

3. Should I use a cat carrier (no escaping) or a cardboard box (better air flowing) to pick up chicks? I'll put a heating pad inside to keep them warm.

Chicks are coming within one month! I have been waited since last summer. Just ordered 50 lb. organic chick starter and 11 lb. meal worms and dozens of other items (medicines, treats, supplements, herbs, bedding, etc. ). It's not like I'm excited or anything! :weee :celebrate :ya :yiipchick  

Wow, you are excited lol. One of my brooder is out on my screen porch. It's also a large dog crate. What I do is line the inside of the crate with cardboard, about halfway up the sides. I use shavings in the bottom and a heat lamp in the back corner. I cover the entire top with a thick blanket and leave a small section uncovered in the front of the crate for ventilation. They've been doing good out there, even with their water freezing once. They stay under the heat when they need to and venture out for food and water.

Wow, you are excited lol. One of my brooder is out on my screen porch. It's also a large dog crate. What I do is line the inside of the crate with cardboard, about halfway up the sides. I use shavings in the bottom and a heat lamp in the back corner. I cover the entire top with a thick blanket and leave a small section uncovered in the front of the crate for ventilation. They've been doing good out there, even with their water freezing once. They stay under the heat when they need to and venture out for food and water.
Thanks for the info. My brooder is in my garage where's always above freezing temperature. I'm just worried about if any rat sneaks in and attacks the chicks, although I haven't found any damage from rat or mouse yet. I tested my heat lamp and am so worried about how hot it is. So I decided to use heating pad instead.

@dheltzel and anyone else on the chicken train route... I will be home for Easter in March sans Hubby. I am hopefully bringing a dresser back to Pittsburgh with me so I won't have tons of room for big crates, but I'm planning on bring some chicks home for myself if anyone else wants to get in on this run.

Easter is early this year (3/27). Since we are meeting up anyway, if anyone in that direction wants chicks (or hatching eggs) they can let me know and I'll get a list of what needs to be put into the incubator so the right chicks are hatched for everyone.

I'll be in SC over Easter this year. We're in the middle of moving down there. Warmer weather, barely any snow, 2 hours from the beach...

Wow! LTNS! So you're,going to be a southern belle now...

Last edited:
Looking for rare color Brahma chickens to start a breeding program.  I'm in NW PA.  45 acre farm.  We pretty much free range our chicken right now but I want to get into some serious breeding.  I have investigated most of the breeds and Brahma chickens are the way I want to go.

Also looking for a mentor/co-breeder willing to share knowledge and swap chickens.

Thank you in advance.

Hey Carrie! Welcome. I'm in Southeast PA, met someone at 4-H in Montgomery County last night that raises Brahma, not sure what variety or quality or even if this is too far for you. Ray from PA (FB name = Rays Marans) may raise them, I know he breeds to the Standard and has some large fowl Partridge....not sure if they are Cochin or Brahma, sorry if this is no help, it's all I've got.

Hi,  does anyone know of a processor in NW PA for Chicken and duck?  Looking for something near Erie.

Try @fisherlady. She travels that area frequently.

@dheltzel and anyone else on the chicken train route... I will be home for Easter in March sans Hubby. I am hopefully bringing a dresser back to Pittsburgh with me so I won't have tons of room for big crates, but I'm planning on bring some chicks home for myself if anyone else wants to get in on this run.

Easter is early this year (3/27). Since we are meeting up anyway, if anyone in that direction wants chicks (or hatching eggs) they can let me know and I'll get a list of what needs to be put into the incubator so the right chicks are hatched for everyone.

I'll be in SC over Easter this year. We're in the middle of moving down there. Warmer weather, barely any snow, 2 hours from the beach...

Wow! LTNS! So you're,going to be a southern belle now...

Nope...still just a Redneck Woman...lmao

The chick addict living inside me wants to find a way to be part of this chicken train... Hypothetically, if I were to getting my hands on some poults or turkey eggs, how would this work? I'm in State College, Centre County, but I would be willing to drive a bit to meet up with the bird-wagon...

Last edited:
The chick addict living inside me wants to find a way to be part of this chicken train... Hypothetically, if I were to getting my hands on some poults or turkey eggs, how would this work? I'm in State College, Centre County, but I would be willing to drive a bit to meet up with the bird-wagon...

I have some poults available now if you're interested. I'm in Patton but I'm always in Altoona.

Chicks are coming within one month! I have been waited since last summer. Just ordered 50 lb. organic chick starter and 11 lb. meal worms and dozens of other items (medicines, treats, supplements, herbs, bedding, etc. ). It's not like I'm excited or anything! :weee :celebrate :ya :yiipchick  

1). Yes, a rat can chew through chicken wire, but I would not be worried about rats. If you chose the cage set up, you should wrap with chicken wire so the chicks do not get out. I don't use cages for chicks as they get the shavings all over. I start all my chicks in a plastic tankard for the first week or two then I move them into the basement into a baby pool. Both of these types of brooder so keep the shavings contained and are easy to clean.

2) I've never used the heating pad method, make sure the heating pad your using doesn't have an automatic off switch.

3). I think you'll be okay with a card board box.

And I am SUPER DOOPER excited for you, can't wait to see pictures!

Back
Top Bottom