Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Wednesday night, on of my little roos was missing. I didn’t think much of it, I figured he got nabbed by a hawk or something.

Last night, thankfully, my husband was able to come home early for work. At about 3:30 he called me telling me a large fox was running around nabbing my chickens. I have my dog with me at work, which is 35 minutes away. I was able to leave work early and speed home.

It was so scary because my husband called me twice on the way home saying, he came back again. Eek! Of course it didn’t care if my hubby was out there either.

Thankfully, it looks like I only lost two girls, with one more injured. I think because they were free ranging, it worked in their favor, since they were able to scatter.

I have a gentleman in my neighborhood who is a licensed and insured hunter who is going to take care of my problem. The fox was huge, almost as big as my dog. When I talked to my neighbor this morning, she said she hasn’t seen her (outside) cat in a few days either.

I will also be buying a radio to play talk radio all day while I am not home. If we get any warm days, I will be putting a roof on my run and securing the heck out of it

My one injured girl has a few bad tears, but I think she should make a full recovery.

Wednesday night, on of my little roos was missing. I didn’t think much of it, I figured he got nabbed by a hawk or something.

Last night, thankfully, my husband was able to come home early for work. At about 3:30 he called me telling me a large fox was running around nabbing my chickens. I have my dog with me at work, which is 35 minutes away. I was able to leave work early and speed home.

It was so scary because my husband called me twice on the way home saying, he came back again. Eek! Of course it didn’t care if my hubby was out there either.

Thankfully, it looks like I only lost two girls, with one more injured. I think because they were free ranging, it worked in their favor, since they were able to scatter.

I have a gentleman in my neighborhood who is a licensed and insured hunter who is going to take care of my problem. The fox was huge, almost as big as my dog. When I talked to my neighbor this morning, she said she hasn’t seen her (outside) cat in a few days either.

I will also be buying a radio to play talk radio all day while I am not home. If we get any warm days, I will be putting a roof on my run and securing the heck out of it

My one injured girl has a few bad tears, but I think she should make a full recovery.

Sorry to hear about the attacks, hopefully the hunter is able to take care of it shortly.. thank goodness your hubby was home!
Fingers crossed that the hen recovers quickly.

Oh no! I'm so sorry for the losses. Hopefully your neighbor get him out of there!

WP_20171229_12_00_47_Pro.jpg

Here's poor little Strawberry. She should pull through, I saw her eating some mealworms just now, and she didn't appreciate me checking her over today. I really think her molting saved her. The fox probably had a hard time gripping her with all of the loose feathers. She has several cuts, but only one looks fairly deep in her shoulder.

Poor Strawberry, glad you’re taking good care of her. I don’t see any blue on her, did you Blu Kote her? Perhaps you just have much better aim than me. I always
View attachment 1221203

Here's poor little Strawberry. She should pull through, I saw her eating some mealworms just now, and she didn't appreciate me checking her over today. I really think her molting saved her. The fox probably had a hard time gripping her with all of the loose feathers. She has several cuts, but only one looks fairly deep in her shoulder.
turn myself into a smurf.

Poor Strawberry, glad you’re taking good care of her. I don’t see any blue on her, did you Blu Kote her? Perhaps you just have much better aim than me. I always

turn myself into a smurf.

You two are correct. I did not blu-Kate her this time. I decided it was unnecessary because she will be staying inside for a few weeks in our cool atrium. She had at least 7 or 8 open wounds, and she has just starting molting
hard. With her injuries, lack of feathers, and extreme cold, I thought she would do better with a little indoor vacation. She seems to be doing well. She is resting a lot, but also eating and preening. She is alert, but not super active. I am happy about this because she needs to heal and grow feathers!

I did use the Vetericyn antiseptic spray to cleanse the wounds. I am also treating with a diluted tea tree oil. She is very calm in the house, so I think she will pull through just fine.

Back
Top Bottom