Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

View attachment 1323504

Oh my goodness guys! I think this little creeper may have been hanging out all day! I only checked the broody briefly this morning to make sure they had water and food. I kept the run door shut because I knew I would be at work until late. Hubby shut her little door to her coop, but probably didn't look up either. I think she has her chicks, I poked her to disturb them and I heard a lot of peeps.

The opossum was so scared, he was clinging to the wood for dear life. I had to pry him off and put him on the ground. I'm surprised my dog didn't eat him. But she did like the chase when he started to waddle away. Can you imagine how funny it would have been to see a broody chicken scare a big opossum?!

DView attachment 1323497 View attachment 1323499

You are way, way, WAY more soft hearted than I am when it comes to foreign critters! I do understand why you let him go though...
But Mindy is another story...

Anyone have any tips on building chicken runs without breaking the bank? Just need it to extend the coop and house chickens at night and keep predators out

View attachment 1323504

Oh my goodness guys! I think this little creeper may have been hanging out all day! I only checked the broody briefly this morning to make sure they had water and food. I kept the run door shut because I knew I would be at work until late. Hubby shut her little door to her coop, but probably didn't look up either. I think she has her chicks, I poked her to disturb them and I heard a lot of peeps.

The opossum was so scared, he was clinging to the wood for dear life. I had to pry him off and put him on the ground. I'm surprised my dog didn't eat him. But she did like the chase when he started to waddle away. Can you imagine how funny it would have been to see a broody chicken scare a big opossum?!

DView attachment 1323497 View attachment 1323499

Omg we had a huge possum here too. I wouldn't get anywhere near it. I had to poke it with a broom many times to get it to leave! He kept hissing. I wonder how aggressive they really are. I'm surprised that guy didn't get any of your chickens.

Anyone have any tips on building chicken runs without breaking the bank? Just need it to extend the coop and house chickens at night and keep predators out

I'm not sure. We use a lot of free wood, but the most expensive part is the chicken wire. If your area has a problem with fishers/minks, then you may need to use hardware cloth. Maybe someone here will have better ideas :confused:

Hardware cloth is 2x the price of 2x4 welded wire. Both work, but the hardware cloth is much better at excluding small vermin, like starlings, sparrows, rats and weasels. I consider it worth the extra expense. Show around online to get a good deal -- check eBay and walmart.com first, those are the places I get it from. Start early buying this, the best deals have longer shipping times.
Consider a hoop house type of run made with cattle panels. This may be a little more expensive for materials, but goes up much faster.

You are way, way, WAY more soft hearted than I am when it comes to foreign critters! I do understand why you let him go though...
But Mindy is another story...

Haha! My silly city pit bull was excited to chase it when it moved, but she had no idea what to do with it. I figure it was my fault, because I didn’t put any digging deterrents around yet.

ANNE!! Did you really touch that thing with your bare hands??

Yes, the whole time I was hoping it would not bite me. It actually had very soft fur. It was so scared it peed a little bit when I started to reach for it.

And that’s the second one this year. The first one was in a trap that our trapper had set. That one was playing dead, so I had to remove it by hand as well. This was not the same one though, this guy was huge. I took the picture with my hand near it to show size. I am 5’7” and have big hands for a girl; this sucker was big!

D976C898-FE58-4F7E-99A1-5EC98C2419AF.jpeg

Okay, I know nobody cares about the silly possum, but I just realized he was sitting there ALL day! This is the first photo from this morning, and when I looked at it tonight and compared the picture, you can see his tail hanging down in the same spot, as marked in the photo. So weird!

Back
Top Bottom