Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hey everyone! Northwestern pa....new to chickies this year! :)

Hello there! Welcome to the fun house!

New to BYC and don't even have my birds yet (but I'm a wanna-be chicken mom at this point)- from Centre County, Bellefonte area, high up on a mountain!

Welcome welcome! Lots of helpful friendly peeps here!

My first batch of chicks arrive tomorrow! :celebrate

I think I have everything in order:
  • Starter Grit
  • Starter Feed
  • Heat Plate
  • Feeder
  • Water
  • Temperature Gauge
  • Soft Flake Pine Shavings
  • Potty Pads
  • 54-Gallon Tub
View attachment 1734751

My cats are super curious. Haha!

Looks good! Just an fyi, after the first week or so, they kick a lot of feed out of the feeders. There is a lot of waste, but that big bag will hold you over for a while. When I started, I thought they were big eaters, until I cleaned the brooder the first time and found all of the food on the bottom. :hmm

Pine shavings are good, but for the first week or two, you should have them on paper towels so they learn to eat their food first.

Also, be sure to watch those kitties, those squeaky chicks are awfully tempting... An old window screen with something heavy on top should keep them safe.

//ROOSTERS//

When will I know I have a rooster?
One week old? Two weeks?

Is there an exchange forum available on this site to help rehome roosters?

If I wind up with roosters, would any of you local sweeties like them? Happy to drive them to you!

It depends with roosters, but if you have a few of the same breed to compare, it's easier. I have found that in a few weeks, you can tell the Roos by a couple of features. Firstly, their legs are usually much thicker. Also, they are larger and more sparsely feathered, with even some bare spots. With males, their body mass grows faster than their feathers can keep up, which makes them look patchy.

I used those clues to pick out clearance straight run Leghorn chicks at TSC last year. They were a few weeks old and not as cute, so on sale very cheap. They were straight run, and the staff member let me go into the holding area so I could pick them up and inspect them. Out of 10 or so chicks, I think I got all females, or only one roo. I probably posted about it here a while back...

This year I got chicks from Murray McMurray hatchery, mail order. I think I have two roos, and I called them and let them know. They credited back my card with the cost of the chicks.

Just spent the last hour tearing apart the washer with DH because the filter was clogged. Of course, the last thing I wanted was dirty chicken towels so I though that they had clogged it up, even though I got most of the junk off of them before I even threw them in the washer. Nope! We instead found the sock monster/thief! There were 2 socks stuck in the filter, blocking it and trapping all the nasty chicken towel water (which was so much fun to spill everywhere during the unclogging). I'm hoping that the sock monster has been slain for good....

What a bummer, its so annoying when your afternoon gets sucked into a silly project like that.

Wow! That is horrible!

All those chickens inside a house? Yikes.... the smell had to have been awful

Yes, she kept them inside because she wasn't supposed to have them where she lived apparently. That's the downside of breeding and selling, you have to trust people to be doing what's right. A friend of mine who also sold some birds to her is going to the humane society first thing this morning to find out what he can (adoption fees etc) and let me know what's up. I feel so awful for them. Most of the roos would've gone in the freezer if they'd stayed here but at least they would've free ranged every day until then :( I try to give a lot of good days followed by just one bad day.

Back
Top Bottom