Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

@fisherlady Adorable! I wish mine would sort out their issues and decide whether they want to go broody or not. They are just too young for this I guess. Last spring pullets. They hide the eggs and then let them get cold, they fight over space and don’t keep it, they have no idea what a broody poop is and just go in the nest...:barnie:he

Howdy @DuckDuckSook! ☺ Welcome to BYC from a fellow Sou’easter!:highfive: I’m in Lincoln University, 19352. How close are ya?

Actually I have found our biggest eggs are usually from the California whites, red Sex links or the hatchery Plymouth rocks. Our biggest birds lay nice eggs, but not the biggest by far. I havent had australorp hens, but dearly loved the australorp rooster we had for years. If the hens have half his personality I would keep them too if we had room, but I am trying to get to primarily Plymouth rock varieties.

Agree 100% My biggest girls lay medium to large eggs but nothing that compares to the extra large ones that the production girls lay.

So Saturday afternoon was spent cutting down 4 dead ash trees a neighbor wanted removed. After cutting to manageable size to load on trailer we brought it home and cut to fireplace length.
Mindy does not stray too far away from me when I am out working (unless I let her stay in the coop watching chicks) and that includes me requiring her close snoopervision when using the chain saw or backhoe, lol. I dont think she trusts anything that makes that much noise. Dillon is willing to hang out at 10 or 15 ft watching distance but she is usually within 5 ft.
I need to get her a set of safety goggles. :gigView attachment 2012628
View attachment 2012629
And yes, I was sitting on the running backhoe when I took the pictures, if she could find room I think she would be on it with me.

I love that dog lol

Southeastern PA here! Going to welcome our first flock of ducklings this spring and we can't wait! Counting down the days!

Welcome, from Cambria county!

LOL! @fisherlady, wanna hatch some eggs for me? :lol:

Joking, btw. I have no idea where Indiana County is, so we’re probably too far apart. I’m just gonna have to buy chicks until my baby broodies figure it out. I can’t even get them to lay in the nest boxes, much less brood properly.:barnie

If you're too far from @fisherlady I'm sure you're too far from me too but just in case anyone is interested, I offer incubation services :) I have a couple people locally that I hatch for when they don't have any broody ladies.

Yes, it’s true.
I know there are classes, and it’s not expensive. Dennis has information, and I think OneMountainAcres is certified.

I'm not. I considered it but right now, it's just not a possibility for me. Especially if I can't free range. Saddles and tutus are doing well for me though lol. I'll settle with shipping them all over the country and just sell chicks and poults locally :) Speaking of saddles, I thought I had a nice stockpile made up for this year... over 150 of different sizes...I think I'll be working on a bunch today, seeing as how I've sold 32 already since January 1st! Last year in January, I only sold 12 lol. I think popularity might be growing! @TillyPeeps they've dramatically improved since you got yours a few years ago :)

If I can't free range being NPIP isn't worth it for me. I use free ranging chickens to eat all my ticks. They did a better job than my Guineas ever did, all they did was fight with each other. Having Lyme and co infections, I can't afford getting bitten again. Without my free ranging chickens I get too many bites, many bites in a week.

Back
Top Bottom