Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

chick 2.jpg
chickens 1.jpg
chick3.jpg

I am on board with you Victoria--I did advice them to de-worm and de-louse before putting them up for adoption or foster. I even offered to supply my extra stuff since I only used it once. I will check with my friend and see if they can treat and what if any adoption fees there are.

@Lelanae, I wish I could help, I’m not far from Wilmington, but I simply can’t pay adoption fees, not when I could spend that money buying top-quality birds from a good breeder. If they are interested in someone to temporarily foster the birds, I might be able to help them, especially if they can pay for food and any medicine they might need. If they don’t want to cross state lines, put a post on the Delaware thread. Fostering can give the rescue time to find a quality home that meets their standards.

If they are serious about foster care, I would appreciate if the birds were tested for worms and external parasites. So would anyone thinking of fostering or adopting. I have never had worms in my flock and I don’t want to introduce them. And tell the rescue not to expect veterinary care, nobody can afford that really. If they can do the cheap and simple stuff (fecal float worm test, treatment for external parasites, maybe even basic checks for common diseases), they will certainly find these birds a home much quicker.

I thought if you cross state lines for shows that you needed to be NPIP. PLus the testing that needs to be done for the shows

From what I've been told, you just need whatever heath testing the State requires to cross state lines and proper documentation to show it. Then whatever else you need for the show. That's just what people from the swaps have told me that routinely go to swap meets out of state. I've never done it myself...

@Lelanae, ❤ The Silkie is adorable, quite a personality. Are you sure he’s not a hybrid, though? There’s no beetle brow, and he has a single purplish comb instead of a black walnut. That’s incorrect for the breed, and might be harder to place. I hope not. Personally I like it, but I’ve never been big into Silkies.

A friend of mine volunteers with Faithful Friends animal rescue in Wilmington Delaware. She just helped rescue a cute little flock that had no shelter at all and the owners were being evicted.
There is an Easter Egger hen and a Silver Laced Wyandotte hen and a white Silkie Roo. The production Red went missing before she could be rescued. The girls look like young red combed layers from the pictures I saw. I will post pictures tomorrow. They are looking for a home ASAP since Faithful Friends is more of a dog and cat place.
It is a shame that happens. People consider chickens to be disposable because we eat them. I would be very careful about any contact with poorly kept birds. Lots of diseases that a bird can carry and not show symptoms. That is why I prefer to get chicks whenever possible, rather than adult birds.

It is a shame that happens. People consider chickens to be disposable because we eat them. I would be very careful about any contact with poorly kept birds. Lots of diseases that a bird can carry and not show symptoms. That is why I prefer to get chicks whenever possible, rather than adult birds.
Absolutely. Unless they have a very clean bill of health after an extended quarantine, fosters won’t coop or range with my birds. I’m still iffy with my setup, I would need my old coop fixed and cleaned, and I’d intended that for a broody coop. Maybe they can find someone better set up than me. I am unable to work, so I have the time and love to give them, but my facilities are somewhat lacking.

Back
Top Bottom