Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Just moved to Cochranville PA. I hope to learn from some of my local chicken lovers.
Howdy from Lincoln University, 10 minutes south of you!😄 One thing you need to know here is poultry roundworms are really bad here, so feed your birds diatomaceous earth monthly, that’s what the Amish do. Straw lice are bad too, so be prepared. Best feed for the money around here I’ve found is Ross’s Feed in Quarryville, he mills his own cheaply. Don’t try to return anything at the Oxford Tractor Supply without a receipt, the manager is nasty. And if you need dewormer, try Valley View Hardware in Lincoln University, it’s Amish run so you need cash, but they have the best price on Safeguard fenbendazole. Welcome and God bless you!❤️✝️

Almost finished the new duck pen today. It is 12x4 and raised up like a rabbit hutch with a wire floor and sunken pool (with easy drain). I plan to put 16 Australian Spotted ducks in there (12 females). Then I need to refurbish their old pen (8x3) a bit and put my flock of Mini Silver Appleyards in there (10 females and 3 males). I have some of the younger ones in with chickens, but they really benefit from access to a pool. Ducks with a pool to swim in regularly always look perfect in their feathering.

Started collecting eggs on Christmas day to set in early January. Not many pens are laying yet. Getting lights set up is the next project. I usually turn the lights on in early December, but I decided to wait a bit longer this year. No need to rush the chick hatching season.

Welcome from northern Chester Co (almost Pottstown).

What chickens do you have now?
I only have one chicken right now. The previous owner of the house we bought left us his one chicken. I don't know what type it is.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom