Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

@VictoriaTemple I stockpiled some antibiotics before they went Rx only. Most are effective against CRD (MS and MG). Mycoplasmas are notorious for hanging on at low levels as you are seeing. I believe tuberculosis is a mycoplasma, and that treatment is long and involved, but ultimately effective.
If you want to try to knock the CRD out of your flock, let me know when you are coming up this way and I can get you the antibiotics.
In my turkeys, some got CRD really bad, even killed a few young ones. I tried treating them but was not consistent enough (ever tried giving oral meds to a struggling turkey?) and it never seemed to make much difference. Once they got over it, those particular birds were never afflicted again, so it seems like they build a resistance to the mycobacteria. There is a vaccine for MS/MG, so resistance is possible.

Henny completely stopped eating. Her poop is lime green. I did my research and found that means she need tube feeding. I have syringe and baby bird formula, but no tube yet. So I just syringe feed her. It was quite a fight, but she ate most of the 60ml feed. Should I try antibiotics? What type? I start to think she is developing Marek symptoms now, but would like to try to save her in case it’s something else.

You can try everything, and we’ll understand trying to prolong her life. Have you done anything yet?
I syringe fed her twice yestersday and once this morning. I planned to feed her every 6hours, but her crop was still full at 9:30pm after the 3:00pm feeding. So I couldn't do it. It seems like she has sour crop, which is strange. Her breath smells really sour. She developed heavy breath this morning. I don't know if it's the stress of syringe feed or she has respiratory problem. The only antibiotic I can find is oxytetracycline. So I give her 0.25ml based on 0.5ml/10 lb. weight. I will try to call an avian vet later.

My beloved head rooster, Danny, just died of our flock’s chronic respiratory infection. It flared up bad when the weather turned cold, his whole chest was full of fluid. Thank the Lord his children show more resistance to the infection and are much healthier. Danny fought it almost 3 years before he finally let go. His sons and daughters are gorgeous and will continue his legacy. 😭❤✝🌹
View attachment 2500087
View attachment 2500090

BTW any ideas on his possible parentage from the photos? He was an Easter Egger, most of his daughters lay green, and with his shortened back I always assumed his father was Araucana, but not sure on his mom, Leghorn maybe? Just curious.❤

(Believe it or not, that’s a pea comb, just a very meaty one. It was on crooked too, always made him look like a gentleman who had cocked his hat)
I have no idea his genetics, but he is a very handsome lad and I am so sorry for your loss.

I saved the single one Avian Vet 's info in this area and he is no longer work there! Then I called a few vets may see chickens without an Avian Vet liscense, and they are either booked up for next few weeks or not seeing chickens anymore! Anybody have any idea where can I find an avian vet in center PA area? :hit

I saved the single one Avian Vet 's info in this area and he is no longer work there! Then I called a few vets may see chickens without an Avian Vet liscense, and they are either booked up for next few weeks or not seeing chickens anymore! Anybody have any idea where can I find an avian vet in center PA area? :hit

I'm sorry, It's so hard to find anyone that treats chickens anywhere :( How about Metzger's animal hospital in State College? I know they're an emergency vet and I believe they treat horses but I'm not sure about chickens. Locally, we had a vet (the one we were using for our cat) suddenly close. Totally understandable as he was having heart problems but it was very sudden so every vet within an hour of them is jam packed with new patients just trying to get in somewhere :/

Back
Top Bottom