Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I'm near Patton, PA so I'm not sure how close that is but I have numerous ameraucana chicks and week have polkies (silkie x polish)
Patton is about a 2-1/2 hour drive which is do-able. They are true Ameraucana's or Easter Eggers, I know some people use the titles interchangeably? I have a friend who has a few Easter Eggers and they are wonderful - since they come from cross-breeding Ameraucana I would assume also a calm disposition? Have never seen a polkie, gonna look that up! Thank you :)

I have bantam Silkie/Cochin hybrids that are really cute. Most of my standard flock is part EE, but although they are handleable I wouldn’t consider them lap chickens for kids (they might be if I didn’t keep so many roos). I’m probably a little far away anyway, Southeast Chester County.
Well Kennett Square (I believe that's SE Chester County) is a 2 hour drive for us, not so bad, especially if it means I get another trip to Longwood Gardens 😉 I will have to look up what a Silkie/Cochin would be, never seen a cross breed of these... your Easter Eggers aren't handle-able you mean? I am not planning on any roos, at least initially.

Do we have anyone in south central PA breeding/raising Easter Eggers or Silkies, or any other breed genuinely calm enough for children to work with? We are building the coop now and adding chickens later in the summer when it is complete. I'd rather buy local than ship from a hatchery if possible. Will drive a reasonable distance for them. Thanks!!
I am in northern Chester Co, close to Pottstown. I do travel through south central PA sometimes.
I have a whole selection of breeds, almost all are very calm and great with small kids. cochin bantams, cream legbars, welbars, olive eggers, true ameraucanas, marans.
I should have some chicks available all summer in small quantities.

I am in northern Chester Co, close to Pottstown. I do travel through south central PA sometimes.
I have a whole selection of breeds, almost all are very calm and great with small kids. cochin bantams, cream legbars, welbars, olive eggers, true ameraucanas, marans.
I should have some chicks available all summer in small quantities.
We camp outside Reading about 20mins from Pottstown throughout the summer (which is part of why I am waiting for chick's since they take so much time at first, and we are finishing up the coop over the next couple weeks) ... sure I can find a time when you have chick's to hop over... think I'm really leaning towards Eggers and Ameraucanas. Would like to find Silkies also if you know anyone local? Considering cross breeding them some day but for now just would like girls 😊

Patton is about a 2-1/2 hour drive which is do-able. They are true Ameraucana's or Easter Eggers, I know some people use the titles interchangeably? I have a friend who has a few Easter Eggers and they are wonderful - since they come from cross-breeding Ameraucana I would assume also a calm disposition? Have never seen a polkie, gonna look that up! Thank you :)

They are true ameraucanas, black and lavender. They're very sweet if handled a lot as babies. The majority of mine have silkie type feathering though some may have normal. I can't tell girls from boys though unfortunately. I got my silkie feathered ameraucanas from @dheltzel a few years ago.

They are true ameraucanas, black and lavender. They're very sweet if handled a lot as babies. The majority of mine have silkie type feathering though some may have normal. I can't tell girls from boys though unfortunately. I got my silkie feathered ameraucanas from @dheltzel a few years ago.
You may be the only person in the world with a viable population of silkied Ameraucanas. I have one old boy left and some split hens. Going to see if I can hatch some chicks from them this year.

They even don't need to be handled a lot as babies. Candy came to me at about 12 week old and was super friendly! She was always ready for cuddling.

We camp outside Reading about 20mins from Pottstown throughout the summer (which is part of why I am waiting for chick's since they take so much time at first, and we are finishing up the coop over the next couple weeks) ... sure I can find a time when you have chick's to hop over... think I'm really leaning towards Eggers and Ameraucanas. Would like to find Silkies also if you know anyone local? Considering cross breeding them some day but for now just would like girls 😊
If you only want girls, Welbar, olive egger, and legbar are the best choice. They are very friendly birds and good layers. I don't think Dennis has sexlink ameraucanas yet, but he should have some next year. I'm on the waiting list for these ameraucanas.

You may be the only person in the world with a viable population of silkied Ameraucanas. I have one old boy left and some split hens. Going to see if I can hatch some chicks from them this year.

I didn't realize that... all I have left now are 3 hens since I've been downsizing my flock but with the surplus of babies I have, I could probably raise up another roo. Do you need some?

Have you ever grabbed a broody poo because it was big, and you thought it was an egg? :D
64454E3F-1CBE-4D20-8124-AF8AD31BEF5C.jpeg 1C7FEB74-797E-4232-97C2-21745F3787BA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom