Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I didn't realize that... all I have left now are 3 hens since I've been downsizing my flock but with the surplus of babies I have, I could probably raise up another roo. Do you need some?
I had given up on them, but now that I am vaccinating for Marek's, I decided to make another run at them, so my silkied boy is with my flock now and I will start setting eggs in a few weeks. If I get chicks, they will all be splits, or maybe silkied, since some of the hens in there are split for silkied. I do need to "refresh" my breeding pen, many of the hens are pretty old and not laying as much as they did.

So...I should have kept on top of things better. My daughter is usually the one taking care of the chicks, and she just informed me at 9pm that we're out of chick starter. Completely out. Of course the store is closed, so I can't get any more tonight. I can go first thing in the morning - they open at 8am.

Until then, what should I do? She says they still had food some this afternoon, but they ate it. I have layer feed, scratch, mealworms, and fruit/veggie scraps. The chicks are about 4.5 weeks old.

So...I should have kept on top of things better. My daughter is usually the one taking care of the chicks, and she just informed me at 9pm that we're out of chick starter. Completely out. Of course the store is closed, so I can't get any more tonight. I can go first thing in the morning - they open at 8am.

Until then, what should I do? She says they still had food some this afternoon, but they ate it. I have layer feed, scratch, mealworms, and fruit/veggie scraps. The chicks are about 4.5 weeks old.
Any feed will be okay. Scrambled eggs are good too.

I decided to keep a second rooster as long as he met my standards of looks and personality. Today he hopped out when I was getting eggs, and stayed out. While mowing, he seemed to be watching the chicks that didn’t go inside, so I watched for him to locate the suicidal chicks. Why my birds trust me is beyond me. The adults will … I digress.
When the RSL and Welsummer sleep in the storage area, they sleep on top of the cage. Jim is asleep with the two moms and their chicks. I love Meat Loaf, but Jim Steinman just won the Dad award between the two of them. It reminds me of my last head roo. Jim tidbits the babies too.
03C96CAC-1392-4EBB-832C-A9C85FB4CDBB.jpeg C03E0699-B528-48F6-BCB1-99BA62E33243.jpeg

The third broody didn’t settle down at the end of incubation like last year. Instead, she seemed done with sitting at all until dusk. Wednesday morning, she looked at the chicks, went to the coop, and parked. I will put a few chicken eggs in the incubator tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom