Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I have two chickens in my basement now: little legbar girl, winnie the pooh, has bumblefoot in both feet and splash marans, Kiwi, with frost bite on her butt! Yes, on her butt! Somehow she had bad diarrhea in the coldest day of this winter and her butt is turning black! I have heater on for them, and both are doing ok. I hope they will recover soon. I'm very pround of myself being able to soak Winnie's feet and pull cores out of her feet with just tweezers! This was the first time I treated bumblefoot. Does anybody know how long it takes for bumblefoot to recover? I hope to return them to the coop together in couple weeks. The large dog cage is too small for two adult chickens. But it's difficult to move them back to coop when it's so cold outside. :barnie

If you got all of the core out of the bumble foot, it really doesn't take that long to heal up. Just some neosporin in it and wrapped up with gauze and vet wrap changed daily and she would be good to go in about a week. It's when the entire core doesn't come out at once that it takes a while since repeated surgeries are necessary.

If you got all of the core out of the bumble foot, it really doesn't take that long to heal up. Just some neosporin in it and wrapped up with gauze and vet wrap changed daily and she would be good to go in about a week. It's when the entire core doesn't come out at once that it takes a while since repeated surgeries are necessary.
Thanks for the information! I believe I pulled both cores out, but I have to keep checking since I'm new at this. I cleaned the big holes in her feet and then applied neosporin on her feet and wrapped with gauze and vetwrap. Will check tonight when I change her medicine and wrap. Although I don't know if Kiwi's butt will recover quick enough. I may have to set my sweet coop heater for their cage when they go back to coop.

In one weather forecast, they said both 7-10” and 9-15” of snow tomorrow into Monday. One was the special warning. Regardless, this is the first time I actually believe that we are getting snow. So far, all of the 1-3” predictions have been snow free, so I stopped believing.

I have lost faith in majority of "weather stories", most are so overblown it is hard to know where science ends and hype begins. But just watching some of the maps of pressures can give a decent idea on expectations. So my take is... yep, it's gonna snow, amounts will vary depending on location/elevation and since it is January in PA we should prepare for miserable conditions be it 4 inches or 14.

Eggs-20220116.jpg
First eggs of 2022 went into the incubator tonight!

So we now know who likes what hens. What is your fav rooster and why?
I love my Genetic Hackle roos best of all. They are so pretty and improve with age. They are also very mellow and never overbreed the hens or cause other problems. Due to their size and personality, they are not my top recommendation for a protector, that would go to the Marans, with their impressive size and ability to beat up on small hawks or anything else that is small but threatening.
But if you just want a pretty boy to keep your hens happy, get a Genetic Hackle.
http://welbars.com/doku.php?id=genetic_hackle:start

I love my Genetic Hackle roos best of all. They are so pretty and improve with age. They are also very mellow and never overbreed the hens or cause other problems. Due to their size and personality, they are not my top recommendation for a protector, that would go to the Marans, with their impressive size and ability to beat up on small hawks or anything else that is small but threatening.
But if you just want a pretty boy to keep your hens happy, get a Genetic Hackle.
http://welbars.com/doku.php?id=genetic_hackle:start
Oh my, Dennis, those are gorgeous!🥰

Back
Top Bottom