Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Anyone know where to find silkies and speckled Sussex in PA? I’m near the State College area.
I actually did some looking here for breeders in Pa. for Orps.
Was an interesting read.
https://livestockconservancy.org/
When you get to the site, just click on the Heritage breed you want to see and they will bring up the breeder with the specific animal.
Even if your not interested in any "special" bred bird or animal, its interesting to see how many people are actually posted up on the site.

I actually did some looking here for breeders in Pa. for Orps.
Was an interesting read.
https://livestockconservancy.org/
When you get to the site, just click on the Heritage breed you want to see and they will bring up the breeder with the specific animal.
Even if your not interested in any "special" bred bird or animal, its interesting to see how many people are actually posted up on the site.
I have tried using that site and every time the listed breeders were no long breeding at all, no longer breeding that variety, or sometimes the number and website was non-existent. I was not able to find any current breeders for any of the chickens I was interested in.

I have tried using that site and every time the listed breeders were no long breeding at all, no longer breeding that variety, or sometimes the number and website was non-existent. I was not able to find any current breeders for any of the chickens I was interested in.
Darn!

That was my experience too, ACLC is always behind WRT poultry. They probably do much better with the larger animals as the generation time is less and "breeders" tend to be deriving their livelihood from cow, pigs, goats, etc.
I felt like ACLC didn't really care much about poultry. I joined for a year several years back, send an email right away about when they were going to update their list of poultry and I still have not gotten a response to that email. If they can't be bothered to even acknowledge an email from a poultry breeder it speaks volumes about their priorities.

That was my experience too, ACLC is always behind WRT poultry. They probably do much better with the larger animals as the generation time is less and "breeders" tend to be deriving their livelihood from cow, pigs, goats, etc.
I felt like ACLC didn't really care much about poultry. I joined for a year several years back, send an email right away about when they were going to update their list of poultry and I still have not gotten a response to that email. If they can't be bothered to even acknowledge an email from a poultry breeder it speaks volumes about their priorities.
well that is a real bummer.
Thank you for that knowledge.
That is a real shame, and it does speak volumes.
I am always getting stuff in the mail about them, makes me think twice now, geesh.
Will just keep eyes open here and there, being patient seems to work out for the best.

On a separate note, went to goodwill today, they had a 40% off store wide sale, DH found a brand new in the box, digital, temp & humidity gauge..and it has a brand new battery in it. Picked it up for 1.50!!!
So now Im thinking...hatching eggs!!!:laucrazy thing is, he is on board with the idea!!!
Might just be easier to get eggs than chicks or pullets.
Haven't hatched eggs for quite some time, just thinking about it ..I am getting excited!!:wee
So now here's a question..where can I get some Orp hatching eggs?!?:lau:oops::smack
No worries, I'll find'em.

I have silkies but they're not laying, or seperated yet. I'm just outside of Patton and drive to Altoona often.
If you’re willing to part with any at some point, I’d love to have some!! I can absolutely meet in Altoona and you can let me know price.

I did have a question though, are they winter tolerant? I’ve read mixed reviews. We have a solid coop, and I put lots of straw down in the for insulation, but I don’t do heat lamps. We have a covered run too but I always shovel my girls a path in the yard because they like to get out and play in the snow and walk around. 😂

well that is a real bummer.
Thank you for that knowledge.
That is a real shame, and it does speak volumes.
I am always getting stuff in the mail about them, makes me think twice now, geesh.
Will just keep eyes open here and there, being patient seems to work out for the best.

On a separate note, went to goodwill today, they had a 40% off store wide sale, DH found a brand new in the box, digital, temp & humidity gauge..and it has a brand new battery in it. Picked it up for 1.50!!!
So now Im thinking...hatching eggs!!!:laucrazy thing is, he is on board with the idea!!!
Might just be easier to get eggs than chicks or pullets.
Haven't hatched eggs for quite some time, just thinking about it ..I am getting excited!!:wee
So now here's a question..where can I get some Orp hatching eggs?!?:lau:oops::smack
No worries, I'll find'em.
Have you ever heard of this place?

https://www.myerspoultry.com/product-buff-orpington

My friend just sent it to me!

If you’re willing to part with any at some point, I’d love to have some!! I can absolutely meet in Altoona and you can let me know price.

I did have a question though, are they winter tolerant? I’ve read mixed reviews. We have a solid coop, and I put lots of straw down in the for insulation, but I don’t do heat lamps. We have a covered run too but I always shovel my girls a path in the yard because they like to get out and play in the snow and walk around. 😂

They would be just fine. I don't do extra heat either but have raised silkies for a while now. I only have a trio now though so any available would be babies. I have a paint roo, paint hen and black hen. I need to get busy getting them separated so that when they finally do start laying, the eggs can go straight in the bator lol.

The first turkey poults and ameraucanas of the season are due this Friday!! :woot

Back
Top Bottom