Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

the story unfolds even farther folks...funny how that happens on journeys.
🤔...DH and I were talking yet again about Roosters and how he was not a fan of getting woken to the siren call of the morning master. So we "again" discussed the use of crow-collars.
I know this may be a "hot" or "tabu" topic for some, as with many things, I believe we all must find the way, a way for each of us to make things work best for our own unique, individual situations.
It is not for me or anyone else to judge how you or myself finds that path to happiness.
Okay, that all being said, DH has now become very open to the idea of acquiring a rooster!
I am about 2 minutes away from buying a lottery ticket folks the way this is all going , seriously!! :th:lau
:weeFirst the hatching eggs..now a ROOSTER?!...oh man, I am dreaming!! hahaha
Okay, just had to share that with you all, cause that is huge news!
Sooo, if you hear of a really nice fluffy-butt BIG Wyandotte rooster, cause I already have awesome wyandotte girls!! or Orp hatching eggs give a shout:celebrate, I have tons of options open now!
Yay!!!! These are such exciting developments!!!! I’ll keep my ear out! ❤️

In your search for standard bred (none hatchery grade) Orpingtons, you could order from Sand Hill: https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/chickens
You could get an assortment, plus some of whatever color you want to increase the number to 25. Remember half will be roosters and some might not survive until laying age, but that should give you about 10 pullets of assorted colors.

I have a mixed roo that's half red sex link (half polish) that I'm thinking of putting over my leghorns and barred rocks for the season. I'm guessing resulting chicks, especially the leghorn crosses, would probably make great layers. What are you guys' thoughts?

In your search for standard bred (none hatchery grade) Orpingtons, you could order from Sand Hill: https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/chickens
You could get an assortment, plus some of whatever color you want to increase the number to 25. Remember half will be roosters and some might not survive until laying age, but that should give you about 10 pullets of assorted colors.
Yes!..
This is where my confusion..ie..Ignorance, comes into play as to the places of purchase.
I did not realize Sandhill was different from others.
I will look further into what they have to offer.
Thank you so much Dennis!

I have a mixed roo that's half red sex link (half polish) that I'm thinking of putting over my leghorns and barred rocks for the season. I'm guessing resulting chicks, especially the leghorn crosses, would probably make great layers. What are you guys' thoughts?
The chicks should be very good layers. Sunny was half polish half silkie, but she was a great layer when she was not broody. She even laid when she was molting in winter (without artificial light)! Of course, that's not good for her health. I wish she wasn't so good at laying. My son would still cry when he talked about Sunny. It's hard to believe how close these two were bonded. I still have a picture of them sitting together watching sunset. A little boy and a chicken! Can you believe they sat there talking to each other for over an hour?

I am totally impressed with SandHill. Wow!!
What an assortment of birds!
I have read their info. a couple times now and haven't found anywhere that there is a minimum..am I missing this??
I am thinking I am going to have to call them, I hate to bother them...geesh after reading how much they have going on, hate to have to, LOL!!
Their prices are super reasonable!!
Thank you again, I didn't even give them a thought and here we are looking to make an order, LOL!!

I am totally impressed with SandHill. Wow!!
What an assortment of birds!
I have read their info. a couple times now and haven't found anywhere that there is a minimum..am I missing this??
I am thinking I am going to have to call them, I hate to bother them...geesh after reading how much they have going on, hate to have to, LOL!!
Their prices are super reasonable!!
Thank you again, I didn't even give them a thought and here we are looking to make an order, LOL!!
He and I have a lot in common regarding wanting to please our customers and regard them as friends. It is necessary to have a certain number of chicks to ship safely. I usually do 25 or more in cool weather (say through May) and at least 15 during hot weather.
If you ask around you might find other people in your area that want some chicks. Homesteaders of every sort would be interested in some of the rare, but dual purpose breeds, like Orpingtons, Dorkings, Marans, and most of the American breeds.
The assortments let him send whatever he doesn't have orders for the week yours ship, so they are heavily discounted to like $2 each. That lets him clear out his brooders and you might easily get $10 chicks for $2, just because they hatched well.
If you have room to raise them until they are sexable, you might be able to sell breeding stock to breeders in your area, or pullets to people that want something unusual in their flock.

Back
Top Bottom