Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

My splash marans laid an egg yesterday! :weeHaven't had any egg since late November when my Dorking started to molt. Weird thing is my marans girl started molting at September and still have lots of pin feathers on her butt, but she is laying! They have 19% protein feed plus cat food, meat (no salt), mealworms, chicken vitamins, etc everyday. She is still molting after 4 months?!

My splash marans laid an egg yesterday! :weeHaven't had any egg since late November when my Dorking started to molt. Weird thing is my marans girl started molting at September and still have lots of pin feathers on her butt, but she is laying! They have 19% protein feed plus cat food, meat (no salt), mealworms, chicken vitamins, etc everyday. She is still molting after 4 months?!
Maybe she thinks if she finishes molting, all the extra nice food will stop?
Maybe talk with her and affirm your love for her even if she is not molting.
:lau

He and I have a lot in common regarding wanting to please our customers and regard them as friends. It is necessary to have a certain number of chicks to ship safely. I usually do 25 or more in cool weather (say through May) and at least 15 during hot weather.
If you ask around you might find other people in your area that want some chicks. Homesteaders of every sort would be interested in some of the rare, but dual purpose breeds, like Orpingtons, Dorkings, Marans, and most of the American breeds.
The assortments let him send whatever he doesn't have orders for the week yours ship, so they are heavily discounted to like $2 each. That lets him clear out his brooders and you might easily get $10 chicks for $2, just because they hatched well.
If you have room to raise them until they are sexable, you might be able to sell breeding stock to breeders in your area, or pullets to people that want something unusual in their flock.
Wonderful info.! & Great ideas for the extra chicks!
I do have to be honest though, I do have a difficult time letting go of things once I have them for a time.
We have ended up with some wonderful collections because of that issue though, LOL...plants, animals, baskets...hahaha
DH asked me ,"what are we going to do with 25 chicks?"
I said the same thing we would do with 6 or 12..:love...
He just gave me a look, :rolleyes:, so all is good here! LOL
I believe with price of eggs and just about everything else, this whole adventure is going about as smoothly as it ever could!!:clap
Thank you so much for all the help and insights, truly.
Everyone has been a great help, I appreciate it!!

Now we just have to pick a date that will work for us, looks like when everything else is going to be happening, and why not right?!
might as well be busy with EVERYTHING all at once! hahaha
Getting seeds, gardens going and chicks settled, sounds like an awesome time!:wee

A couple of our girls have taken an extra long time to finish up this year too.
Not sure what the deal is on that, they were also given the extra protein & vits. to help a bit.
Have a black laced red Wyandotte, her tail still is not fully grown out from molt, just a little short.

A couple of our girls have taken an extra long time to finish up this year too.
Not sure what the deal is on that, they were also given the extra protein & vits. to help a bit.
Have a black laced red Wyandotte, her tail still is not fully grown out from molt, just a little short.
It's really strange this year. All of my 1~2 year old hens are extremely slow at molting. Most of they (except my Dorking) started molting 4+ months ago and only one finished by now. It seems more protein I give them, slower they molt. I wonder if it's because it's warm winter so they are not in a hurry? :rolleyes:

well that is a real bummer.
Thank you for that knowledge.
That is a real shame, and it does speak volumes.
I am always getting stuff in the mail about them, makes me think twice now, geesh.
Will just keep eyes open here and there, being patient seems to work out for the best.

On a separate note, went to goodwill today, they had a 40% off store wide sale, DH found a brand new in the box, digital, temp & humidity gauge..and it has a brand new battery in it. Picked it up for 1.50!!!
So now Im thinking...hatching eggs!!!:laucrazy thing is, he is on board with the idea!!!
Might just be easier to get eggs than chicks or pullets.
Haven't hatched eggs for quite some time, just thinking about it ..I am getting excited!!:wee
So now here's a question..where can I get some Orp hatching eggs?!?:lau:oops::smack
No worries, I'll find'em.
Maybe it was @beaglady who had them... hhmmm. Though Sally would probably know someone who does have them with her activities on the boards.
I have a mixed roo that's half red sex link (half polish) that I'm thinking of putting over my leghorns and barred rocks for the season. I'm guessing resulting chicks, especially the leghorn crosses, would probably make great layers. What are you guys' thoughts?
Should be great layers!

A few recent passengers. For anyone on FB I have a business page that shows past and upcoming trips and that has cute passenger pictures. Keystone Small Animal Transport.
20230129_093700.jpg
20230128_174323.jpg
20230123_194550.jpg
20230112_110554.jpg
20230105_153429.jpg
20230112_080256.jpg

A few recent passengers. For anyone on FB I have a business page that shows past and upcoming trips and that has cute passenger pictures. Keystone Small Animal Transport. View attachment 3392363View attachment 3392364View attachment 3392365View attachment 3392367View attachment 3392369View attachment 3392370

I love seeing your routes and pictures on Facebook! I can get panicky on the road so I don't drive very far but it's near to see where all you're going :)

Maybe it was @beaglady who had them... hhmmm. Though Sally would probably know someone who does have them with her activities on the boards.

Should be great layers!
I did throw Sally a message. Maybe if she is not too busy with life she will get back to me. It's okay, I understand with all that.
Your little fur-passengers are the cutest!! :love
Just like OneMountain said, it is really interesting seeing the trials you have put down!!
Lots of miles on those tires!:D:cool:

Back
Top Bottom