people with house chickens

Pics
Congrats to Dottie!! We are on day 20!!!! I am so dang nervous, I just want everything to go well for her and the chicks. I think I'm more nervous for her than when I had my own baby! Lol. We are getting a plastic pool ready for her and her babies today. Hopefully they start to hatch tomorrow!!!!!

Congrats to Dottie!! We are on day 20!!!! I am so dang nervous, I just want everything to go well for her and the chicks. I think I'm more nervous for her than when I had my own baby! Lol. We are getting a plastic pool ready for her and her babies today. Hopefully they start to hatch tomorrow!!!!!

Dottie is the best mother.
Right now Dottie is outside with her chicks.
The dog killed 15 hens. So the shed (coop) is virtually empty except for one hen. I put Dottie out there because she started to jump out of the pool and take the chicks with her and wander around the house scratching for food. And there was nothing to scratch. So the solution was to put her cage, food, and water out there. She is awesome. All day long she takes the little ones around to find food through her scratching. And watching them is so darn wonderful.
I don't know if she will ever be an indoor chicken again. ?
We will have to see.

Aww!! How adorable! She sounds like suh a good mama. I hope my Lily will be a good one too. That's what happened to Nera. She loved it so much outside that I couldn't keep her inside anymore. So we got her two friends and she happily pecks around outside all day then comes in to sleep!

I have mine in the house. I am to afraid to leave them outside because of having a large field behind me. we have Raptor Hawks that fly over to get the small animals out there.

Oh, how sweet . She came into sleep. Maybe that is what
Dottie will do. I could see her doing that after the babies are
up and running.
Truly, she is such a good mother. She is obsessed with scratching
and finding food. Although, I put a big bowl out there for them. The
pecking and the scratching is her main thing.

So close Day 20, oh,,,,,very very soon. So happy for you.

Right now we are nursing our Australorpe that get bit by the dog.
Took her to the vet and he wanted to put her down.
I couldn't do it. He said her wounds would not heal. and she has a 10 percent chance.
So we are taking care of her.

I understand about the hawks. Fortunately I see one only in the winter.
Dottie may have to come in because of that.

Back
Top Bottom