people with house chickens

Poor her and you, I have discovered a piece of newspaper goes along way to help her feel less frustrated with the weather. I have been trying to get her out when it stops raining which seems to be helping but she is still cranky but that might be because she is also in molt.

Oh they do but most can learn to wear a diaper. Pancake keeps most of her poo to her house or on her box and she also is learning to at least not go on me or furniture if avoidable.

Hi Ponyfeather - newspaper has been in the kennel with our indoor Silkie and she scratches through, shredding it, looking for absolutely nothing! We have about 4 different little Ramakin cups with no-GMO feed, cooked rice, bird seed mix, oyster shell, grit, and her medicated water. A seed treat chicken ball I know would keep her busy but then the seeds will go flying all over the pen floor and all over the room she's in. I can't wait for her to be well enough to go outside. I know she misses her daily dust baths. She's been laying an egg every other day too in her storage box nest.

My hens - bantams and LF - don't get cranky during molt but they do lose a lot of appetite and mope around the coop most of the day. Treats don't hold any interest for them and sometimes the Silkies will sit out their molt in a secluded nestbox. I have to give them no-iron children's Poly-Vi-Sol drop a couple times a week because they don't consume proper nutrition. Molt makes the birds miserable, uncomfortable, itchy, skin sensitive to the touch, so we don't handle them unless absolutely necessary for health maintenance. It's a stressful time for them. My Silkie came down with CRD symptoms from the stress and had to get Baytril injections and then had to treat all the flock with Tylan in their water so no more come down with symptoms and it's worked. The colder temps have stressed all the birds also. It stresses us worrying about the flock but then having pets means having responsibility for them!

Pancake is DORK she was consuming enough new print I noticed a shred of it rather intact in her poo, no more newsprint for her to rip up for awhile. No treats either I told my mom, only her chicky crumbles + water and grit at least until I know she hasn't impacted her crop. What a little dork I have, thankfully she seems fine and has become more energetic since I put her on a restricted diet. What a silly thing to do while she is in molt, newsprint can't grow feathers.

Last edited:
Hello! My name is Kim, and I have 2 house chickens! I wish I saw this thread sooner. Lots of people think that I'm slightly off for keeping 2 house chickens, but there are LOTS of us who do! Ronnie is an 8 month old Serama, and Dora is a Sebright, 2 or 2.5 years old. Ronnie was just a little guy when I got him, and I wasn't planning on keeping him. He was hatched by a friend of mine, but she can't keep roosters, so I found a lady to take him. The lady backed out, so I kept Ronnie. He was a noisy boy, especially at night, so I would cuddle with him in bed to calm him. Yes, I sleep with my chickens.

My girls in their diapers after spending the morning outside in the rain

Back
Top Bottom