people with house chickens

I currently have three two day old chicks. They're precious we endded up getting three because they couldn't hold any chixks until they where older so we didn't want to stress almost new borns and got three. My dad is going to have fit but at least one will be going to live where we board our horses. My mom is smitten with one so we might end up keeping two. But i do have a set up outside that could support all three.

Also my dad loves fresh eggs so maybe he'll go for keeping all three. If not we'll give them to our friend.

I currently have three two day old chicks. They're precious we endded up getting three because they couldn't hold any chixks until they where older so we didn't want to stress almost new borns and got three. My dad is going to have fit but at least one will be going to live where we board our horses. My mom is smitten with one so we might end up keeping two. But i do have a set up outside that could support all three.

Also my dad loves fresh eggs so maybe he'll go for keeping all three. If not we'll give them to our friend.

Wishing you the best with these new chicks. Chicks are delicate and always iffy if all survive. Expect losses but on the other hand be happy if they all make it to adulthood. My farm Mom always said chicks were delicate and we were accustomed to losses. Even juveniles sometimes don't make it all the way to adults. With 3 chicks you have a very good start. Chickens are flock birds and like to be in each other's company. My solitary juvenile had to be quarantined for a few weeks before integrating her with the outdoor flock so we set up a mirror for her to nibble and kiss her reflection and to sleep next to the "other" bird. She would run along the mirror with her reflection and always ran back to it to join the other bird
big_smile.png

Wishing you the best with these new chicks.  Chicks are delicate and always iffy if all survive.  Expect losses but on the other hand be happy if they all make it to adulthood.  My farm Mom always said chicks were delicate and we were accustomed to losses.  Even juveniles sometimes don't make it all the way to adults.  With 3 chicks you have a very good start.  Chickens are flock birds and like to be in each other's company.  My solitary juvenile had to be quarantined for a few weeks before integrating her with the outdoor flock so we set up a mirror for her to nibble and kiss her reflection and to sleep next to the "other" bird.  She would run along the mirror with her reflection and always ran back to it to join the other bird :D

Which is why i got three i know chick death happens. One I am really worried about one she is almost alway peeping and doesn't eat or drink lots. The only time she is 100% quiet is when I pick her up. To make sure she isn't pasted up. Then she cuddles into my hand and tries to nap. The other two are eating and drinking great and seem quiet content.

Which is why i got three i know chick death happens. One I am really worried about one she is almost alway peeping and doesn't eat or drink lots. The only time she is 100% quiet is when I pick her up. To make sure she isn't pasted up. Then she cuddles into my hand and tries to nap. The other two are eating and drinking great and seem quiet content.

Yes, chicks are delicate. I had a chick that only made it to 2 weeks and I was devastated because it had a sudden seizure - no warning. So I decided to get juveniles half-grown because I thought they'd be hardier. One was shipped sickly and we couldn't save it. Later we got another juvenile and it was shipped very sickly and the vet had to put it down. So heartbreaking. But then there is the joy one feels for the ones that make it to adults. Nature's way of having only the hardiest birds to survive to keep the gene pool strong. GL!!

Well, I'm back to having just one house chicken again. Mr Stephen went to a wonderful new home yesterday. A lady drove 3 hours one way just to come get him. She LOVES him. He'll be so spoiled there.

I would have loved to have kept him, but his constant crowing was becoming a nuisance to my family, and I have been working 40+ hours per week right now, and the poor boy would get so stressed when I wasn't around. He'll be much happier now. I sure do miss him already though.

Well, I'm back to having just one house chicken again. Mr Stephen went to a wonderful new home yesterday. A lady drove 3 hours one way just to come get him. She LOVES him. He'll be so spoiled there.

I would have loved to have kept him, but his constant crowing was becoming a nuisance to my family, and I have been working 40+ hours per week right now, and the poor boy would get so stressed when I wasn't around. He'll be much happier now. I sure do miss him already though.

I'm sorry you had to rehome Stephen, but proud of you for doing the right thing, even if it wasn't easy. It really shows how much you love your chickens. I'm really glad you found a good home for him. I'll have the same decision to make when my little ones start crowing in a month or so. Not looking forward to it at all.

I'm sorry you had to rehome Stephen, but proud of you for doing the right thing, even if it wasn't easy. It really shows how much you love your chickens. I'm really glad you found a good home for him. I'll have the same decision to make when my little ones start crowing in a month or so. Not looking forward to it at all.

Thank you. :) I know in my heart it was the right thing to do, which was why I went through with it. I miss him already though.

I hated to re-home the two cockerels we had but also found them homes where they were wanted and not someone's dinner! The cockerels, to me, have always been sweeter than my pullets but zoning prevents us from having roos. I won't torture roos with crow collars as I understand it doesn't stop the crow - only muffles it. Have the new owner of Mr. Stephen send you photos of him occasionally. Our new owners send us photo updates from time to time!

Just started an indoor partition of nine. Will report on dust and smell as if 24 hours five eggs, fresh pine smell, no noticeable dusty or fecal build up. Will follow with more reports. Finally we will know if this is doable and worthwhile or not.

I hated to re-home the two cockerels we had but also found them homes where they were wanted and not someone's dinner!  The cockerels, to me, have always been sweeter than my pullets but zoning prevents us from having roos.  I won't torture roos with crow collars as I understand it doesn't stop the crow - only muffles it.  Have the new owner of Mr. Stephen send you photos of him occasionally.  Our new owners send us photo updates from time to time!

Yeah, I agree. I felt terrible for trying to put collars on Stephen. And I constantly worried about him choking. The lady who took him promised to send me lots of photos. She is going to put him in a pen with 7 female Sebrights, and she plans to breed him with them at some point. She told me I could have first pick of the babies :lol: So I might get a pullet from her at some point and make it a house baby. We'll see :)

Cockerels are definitely sweeter. I have noticed they like to cuddle more and become more bonded to you. That's why it was so hard having Stephen here. He bonded to me, and then whenever I would leave for 8-12 hours per day for work, he would go nuts. It just wasn't good for him. He'll be much happier now. And I can't wait to see the babies she's hoping to hatch next year!

Back
Top Bottom