people with house chickens

DE is not that effective and takes a long time to work on a bug - if at all.  I don't use powders of any sort around my chickens because of respiratory issues and DE has a lot of warning on the label to use goggles, mask, and gloves, so I decided not to use it - especially since it is not a guaranteed bug deterrent.  If you want to keep your house chickens free of feather lice/mites I use organic enzyme Manna Pro Poultry Protector on their bodies and their housing (directions on label).  Safe enough to use on 9-day-old chicks.  I received a shipment of two pullets and they had feather-lice on them right out of the crate so I immediately used Poultry Protector on them and there was no lice almost immediately.  Since Poultry Protector is safe to use as often as wished, I continued using it for a couple more days on the pullets just in case.  A week later I followed up with another application to the pullets just in case any lice eggs hatched or I missed any.  I use Poultry Protector once a month on our 4 hens and then use it on parts of their coop like nestbox and perch crevices as preventative maintenance.  The stuff really works and I don't have to be afraid of poison or waiting around until maybe DE works or doesn't work.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/05/diatomaceous-earth-de-benefitrisk.html

DE works, just not on the spot. It causes insects,,all insects, with ecoskeletons to be cut inside and out, the body fluids escape, and they die. Like you, if I see any bugs on any of my animals, I want something immediate. But I do use DE alot as prevention. You can dust birds directly if you wish, and I use it to worm birds and dogs. I do use face mask when I spread it and dust is in the air. Once it is where its going, however, I take mask off.

I made the mistake of reading this thread to my husband and daughter.

Now my husband said she could raise a chicken in the house... except I'm the one who has to take care of them... argh!

So, I read someone had potty trained them around week 3 - PLEASE so I don't have stock on chicken diapers... tell me how you did it. LOL

MY daughter has now put two houses that would "work in her room" on her christmas list, along wiht a selection of chicken diapers and inserts. :hmm

She even made her dad get out his measuring tape and measure the corner in her room to make sure either one would fit.... LOL I had to tell her christmas was a long time off though! LOL
I never tried potty training any chicken in one place because every one of our newest pullets will get free-range of the house when we first acquire them (before integrating them into the outdoor flock) - it isn't natural keeping a chicken from roaming/foraging - it's their basic instinct. So we either blocked off the the kitchen where the chicken can roam or else we used diapers. We found a long door mirror laying on its side on the floor keeps the chicken amused and will do everything in front of that mirror - kiss it, talk to it, run back and forth in front of it, eat/drink in front of it, or snooze by her reflection most of the day. But if you have carpet/rugs anywhere in your home, I strongly recommend getting the chicken accustomed to diapers. After 3 months of diapers I'm ready for a house chicken to be integrated finally into the outdoor flock!

This Breda never wore diapers in our house. She loved her door mirror(on its side) and spent the entire day in front of it. Big mirrors are the best chicken-sitters! We didn't have to worry that she wandered around "dropping poops" everywhere! It was easy to clean up the tile floor in front of the door mirror that she loved:

Anyone else have some super cute pictures of their house chickens??? I'd love to see them! This is one of mine from what I call Lap Time Nap Time. How am I expected to get anything done when this happens in my lap?
This is too cute!

They dont like anything over them, especially moving things. I accidentally turned on my ceiling fan and they freaked. Instinct because of aerial predators. The BUT I got the same advise. Sit down on ground and deliver treats. They are treated only if they take from the hand. I can touch mine, and yhey get very close, buf I think because I made them so wary as babies with the brooder on the ground, I may never have lap chicks.,
I have received cockerels and pullets as old as 4 to 5 months old not raised by me and timid. It just takes time to get new juveniles accustomed to treats and handling but I can say it does work to tame them into lap chickens. I have a "shovel Silkie" who was not handled her first 6 months but raised in a pen with other chicken breeds before I got her. She is 5 yrs old now and runs to my garden shovel to sit on it when I dig up soil -- she wants to be the first to get the earthworms! She stands on my shoes at treats time and has climbed up my pant leg to get closer to the food. Also, I had to consider that some breeds are just naturally more skittish than other breeds. Our Breda pullet and cockerel were absolute pests, curious, outgoing, friendly and we didn't get them until they were 4 to 5 months old - just naturally people-friendly birds. Our Silkies at 5 yrs old can still be quite skittish because they are very aware of their diminutive size around us tall upright humans. But they make very good lap chickens once in your lap. I've had visiting children sitting down with them in their lap and they put up with handling from strangers just fine.

I do not believe there is anything you can do to make her want a diaper change. I think you have to catch her up and fo it, and she will acclimate and come to see it as a neccessary evil.
Our first experience in diaper changing was with a Silkie. Let me tell you! 5-toes on each foot bicycling in mid-air to push the diaper away was a real challenge. But firmness and two of us to hold her down while diapering eventually became easier for just one person to diaper the Silkie. They eventually give up and let you do whatever to them. Ours are used to having tush shampoo's and blow-dry's between diaper changes. It just all depends on how much you want to hassle training the birds. There was only one bird we gave up on wearing diapers -- a very stubborn Ameraucana that would sulk and wouldn't eat or drink the entire day while the diaper was on -- she refused to walk in it. We gave up and just turned her outdoors with the flock where she was happiest.

I never tried potty training any chicken in one place because every one of our newest pullets will get free-range of the house when we first acquire them (before integrating them into the outdoor flock) - it isn't natural keeping a chicken from roaming/foraging - it's their basic instinct. So we either blocked off the the kitchen where the chicken can roam or else we used diapers. We found a long door mirror laying on its side on the floor keeps the chicken amused and will do everything in front of that mirror - kiss it, talk to it, run back and forth in front of it, eat/drink in front of it, or snooze by her reflection most of the day. But if you have carpet/rugs anywhere in your home, I strongly recommend getting the chicken accustomed to diapers. After 3 months of diapers I'm ready for a house chicken to be integrated finally into the outdoor flock!

This Breda never wore diapers in our house. She loved her door mirror(on its side) and spent the entire day in front of it. Big mirrors are the best chicken-sitters! We didn't have to worry that she wandered around "dropping poops" everywhere! It was easy to clean up the tile floor in front of the door mirror that she loved:

This is too cute!

I have received cockerels and pullets as old as 4 to 5 months old not raised by me and timid. It just takes time to get new juveniles accustomed to treats and handling but I can say it does work to tame them into lap chickens. I have a "shovel Silkie" who was not handled her first 6 months but raised in a pen with other chicken breeds before I got her. She is 5 yrs old now and runs to my garden shovel to sit on it when I dig up soil -- she wants to be the first to get the earthworms! She stands on my shoes at treats time and has climbed up my pant leg to get closer to the food. Also, I had to consider that some breeds are just naturally more skittish than other breeds. Our Breda pullet and cockerel were absolute pests, curious, outgoing, friendly and we didn't get them until they were 4 to 5 months old - just naturally people-friendly birds. Our Silkies at 5 yrs old can still be quite skittish because they are very aware of their diminutive size around us tall upright humans. But they make very good lap chickens once in your lap. I've had visiting children sitting down with them in their lap and they put up with handling from strangers just fine.

Our first experience in diaper changing was with a Silkie. Let me tell you! 5-toes on each foot bicycling in mid-air to push the diaper away was a real challenge. But firmness and two of us to hold her down while diapering eventually became easier for just one person to diaper the Silkie. They eventually give up and let you do whatever to them. Ours are used to having tush shampoo's and blow-dry's between diaper changes. It just all depends on how much you want to hassle training the birds. There was only one bird we gave up on wearing diapers -- a very stubborn Ameraucana that would sulk and wouldn't eat or drink the entire day while the diaper was on -- she refused to walk in it. We gave up and just turned her outdoors with the flock where she was happiest.
that's a good trick to know about the mirror - we don't have carpet, but I would worry about the chicken being on her bed, or my furniture with out being potty trained.

We have acreage, taking the bird outside isn't that big of a deal even if it's not integrated into the flock. She wants a special chicken to take care of that's "hers" not "farm animals" - she has to accept the fact that flock chickens who live outside, can die more easily. She's wanted a parrot, and other birds, that are a lot more work than even an indoor chicken (and bite and can remove fingers) so if she's going to have a house bird, a chicken's a better choice for her in a lot of ways. They tend to handle being hugged better than a parakeet.

DE works, just not on the spot. It causes insects,,all insects, with ecoskeletons to be cut inside and out, the body fluids escape, and they die. Like you, if I see any bugs on any of my animals, I want something immediate. But I do use DE alot as prevention. You can dust birds directly if you wish, and I use it to worm birds and dogs. I do use face mask when I spread it and dust is in the air. Once it is where its going, however, I take mask off.

If a human wears a mask, goggles, gloves, for protection from DE, what kind of protection is there for the birds and dogs around DE since it would have the same tiny cutting effect on their skin, lungs, eyes, respiratory system, etc, as the human who is spreading the DE around?

that's a good trick to know about the mirror - we don't have carpet, but I would worry about the chicken being on her bed, or my furniture with out being potty trained.

We have acreage, taking the bird outside isn't that big of a deal even if it's not integrated into the flock. She wants a special chicken to take care of that's "hers" not "farm animals" - she has to accept the fact that flock chickens who live outside, can die more easily. She's wanted a parrot, and other birds, that are a lot more work than even an indoor chicken (and bite and can remove fingers) so if she's going to have a house bird, a chicken's a better choice for her in a lot of ways. They tend to handle being hugged better than a parakeet.

I've had a Blue-fronted Amazon parrot, American and English Budgerigars, Cockatiels, Canaries, and several breeds of Chickens, Ducks, Geese - they all have their special uniqueness and I think they trained us instead of the other way around! I think it's sweet you're willing to have a house chicken. Keep in mind that most birds are "flock" animals and one chicken alone is not the norm. Your DD may have to entertain having 2 in-house chickens for their "flock" mentality if they are not going to be integrated into an outdoor group. There is nothing cuter than 2 bantam Silkies or 2 bantam Cochins or 2 OEG's toodling around the house (or the backyard!). Of course, if 2 house birds are out of the question, the mirror is a second option. We had a lone Dom chick that visited her blankie and mirror in her cage whenever she wasn't following us around the house. It wasn't the same as a 2nd chick but we had to think of something so she wouldn't feel isolated. House dogs and cats need to be monitored. I would not consider leaving them alone with birds no matter how well-behaved they are when under supervision. I've heard too many sad stories of losses from "friendly" pets.

Plus which I have never found DE to do any of the things it is supposed to. I'm immune to the "placebo effect," I have to see results. If I remember correctly it has to stay dry to work. I ordered some years back from "Garden Alive," and it didn't deliver on any counts.

I've had a Blue-fronted Amazon parrot, American and English Budgerigars, Cockatiels, Canaries, and several breeds of Chickens, Ducks, Geese - they all have their special uniqueness and I think they trained us instead of the other way around! I think it's sweet you're willing to have a house chicken. Keep in mind that most birds are "flock" animals and one chicken alone is not the norm. Your DD may have to entertain having 2 in-house chickens for their "flock" mentality if they are not going to be integrated into an outdoor group. There is nothing cuter than 2 bantam Silkies or 2 bantam Cochins or 2 OEG's toodling around the house (or the backyard!). Of course, if 2 house birds are out of the question, the mirror is a second option. We had a lone Dom chick that visited her blankie and mirror in her cage whenever she wasn't following us around the house. It wasn't the same as a 2nd chick but we had to think of something so she wouldn't feel isolated. House dogs and cats need to be monitored. I would not consider leaving them alone with birds no matter how well-behaved they are when under supervision. I've heard too many sad stories of losses from "friendly" pets.
Due to pack mentality, we only allow 1 dog to be lose in the house and the others are crated when we are gone. We have 3 indoor cats. I am 99% sure they could hold their own, as my big male is 26lbs (yes, he's obese, and he's been on a diet for years, the smart ****** will go eat dog food, get into trash, and learned to open any door, cabinet and lock that wasn't with a key, to find food. He'll even eat grain and chicken feed if he feels were starving him - he's a work in progess, but now that he's in double digit years, I've sort of resigned myself to his heftiness- the vet said he wasn't even as fat as I thought he was... so as long as he's not showing overt strain, he's okay.)

Anyways - The chickens would be in her room, and I'd probably let them out if only the cats where inside, and they were full grown I don't see any of my cats messing with a full grown chicken. (none of our outdoor/barn cats messed with the chickens, and our indoor cats are used to raising baby humans, goats, and other things. I think if anything, the chickens are more likely to terrioze them since 2 out of the 3 are skittish, and my big one doesn't do much but lay there.)

Our 3 legged pitbull is the only one who gets free range of the house - and it's because she's got 3 legs, and doesn't cause any trouble. My bulldog and boston terrier are nightmares when it comes to chewing anything they can get their hands on (so they have LOTS of bones in their kennels.) and my daughters rescue dog, is one of those "Excited peers" and has never out grown it....

Our bulldog, and pitbull are the only ones really allowed any freedom - but our bulldog only gets it if we are there to supervise. My boston's an insane dog, who is stupid as a rock. I probably could train him up a lot better than he is, but he's a good natured dog who doesn't cause any problems besides stealing socks.... or shoes, or anything you remotely set down for a split second... he takes. LOL I'd love to see a chicken terrorize him.. (okay, not really... but the mental image was funny.

I wouldn't trust them lose in the house unsupervised. We use baby gates and other stuff to help confine even our dog whos free in the house and not kenneled, she has a dog bed, and wiht our toddlers, I don't want them being able to grab cats, or dogs randomly either. It really feels like our haze is a maze of gates some days. LOL

ANyways - long ramble short.

Chicken would be only free in her room to hang out with her - or if all the dogs were outside, or kenneled and we did a careful introduction with the pitbull. She's not a fan of being harassed due to only having 3 legs, so I don't see her messing with a chicken if the chicken ignored her.

Due to pack mentality, we only allow 1 dog to be lose in the house and the others are crated when we are gone. We have 3 indoor cats. I am 99% sure they could hold their own, as my big male is 26lbs (yes, he's obese, and he's been on a diet for years, the smart ****** will go eat dog food, get into trash, and learned to open any door, cabinet and lock that wasn't with a key, to find food. He'll even eat grain and chicken feed if he feels were starving him - he's a work in progess, but now that he's in double digit years, I've sort of resigned myself to his heftiness- the vet said he wasn't even as fat as I thought he was... so as long as he's not showing overt strain, he's okay.)

Anyways - The chickens would be in her room, and I'd probably let them out if only the cats where inside, and they were full grown I don't see any of my cats messing with a full grown chicken. (none of our outdoor/barn cats messed with the chickens, and our indoor cats are used to raising baby humans, goats, and other things. I think if anything, the chickens are more likely to terrioze them since 2 out of the 3 are skittish, and my big one doesn't do much but lay there.)

Our 3 legged pitbull is the only one who gets free range of the house - and it's because she's got 3 legs, and doesn't cause any trouble. My bulldog and boston terrier are nightmares when it comes to chewing anything they can get their hands on (so they have LOTS of bones in their kennels.) and my daughters rescue dog, is one of those "Excited peers" and has never out grown it....

Our bulldog, and pitbull are the only ones really allowed any freedom - but our bulldog only gets it if we are there to supervise. My boston's an insane dog, who is stupid as a rock. I probably could train him up a lot better than he is, but he's a good natured dog who doesn't cause any problems besides stealing socks.... or shoes, or anything you remotely set down for a split second... he takes. LOL I'd love to see a chicken terrorize him.. (okay, not really... but the mental image was funny.

I wouldn't trust them lose in the house unsupervised. We use baby gates and other stuff to help confine even our dog whos free in the house and not kenneled, she has a dog bed, and wiht our toddlers, I don't want them being able to grab cats, or dogs randomly either. It really feels like our haze is a maze of gates some days. LOL

ANyways - long ramble short.

Chicken would be only free in her room to hang out with her - or if all the dogs were outside, or kenneled and we did a careful introduction with the pitbull. She's not a fan of being harassed due to only having 3 legs, so I don't see her messing with a chicken if the chicken ignored her.

WOW! What an animal farm
lol.png
. You've got it all worked out it seems! Good luck and I think it's great for your DD to have a pet of her very own! Sounds like it will be one spoiled chicken!

If a human wears a mask, goggles, gloves, for protection from DE, what kind of protection is there for the birds and dogs around DE since it would have the same tiny cutting effect on their skin, lungs, eyes, respiratory system, etc, as the human who is spreading the DE around?

I wear only a mask, when it is floating around, like when I first sprinkle it, or turn bedding over in coop. My research leads me to believe it is only dangerous to lungs. Remember, my birds are outside, not inside. The people I have spoken to dont usually have the same emotional investment you guys do. Flocks are depleted by predation, medical conditions, culling, and some are raised for meat. Alot of people who do not consider them pets, will cull after prime laying years are over.
At any rate, I am only passing on info as you are, from research and experience. My experience tells me it works because with the amount 10 chickens poop, it is total fly magnet. I have almost none. If I see three thats a big day.
I have gotten it on my skin and felt nothing, and eyes have been ok.
I am so blessed to have found this forum to get a half million people's opinions and expertise, cause my chicks are only 9 weeks old. But, as with any

animal I have ever researched, there are often numerous opinions and beliefs, and I have found even total contradictions. I just gather info and form my own opinions.

I wear only a mask, when it is floating around, like when I first sprinkle it, or turn bedding over in coop. My research leads me to believe it is only dangerous to lungs. Remember, my birds are outside, not inside. The people I have spoken to dont usually have the same emotional investment you guys do. Flocks are depleted by predation, medical conditions, culling, and some are raised for meat. Alot of people who do not consider them pets, will cull after prime laying years are over.
At any rate, I am only passing on info as you are, from research and experience. My experience tells me it works because with the amount 10 chickens poop, it is total fly magnet. I have almost none. If I see three thats a big day.
I have gotten it on my skin and felt nothing, and eyes have been ok.
I am so blessed to have found this forum to get a half million people's opinions and expertise, cause my chicks are only 9 weeks old. But, as with any
animal I have ever researched, there are often numerous opinions and beliefs, and I have found even total contradictions. I just gather info and form my own opinions.

I LUV this photo! Looks like the chickenwhisperer! As for opinions I agree everyone decides for themselves. For us we had a White Leghorn at one time that sneezed for an hour after her dust baths. And we now have a Silkie with CRD issues and we also are supercillious-sensitive allergenics so powdery substances, dusts, shavings, etc, we chose not to use. I gave my unopened pure white DE to a friend after I decided not to use it after the contradictory research about it and she tried it as a dust-bath additive for her 15 layers in their pen - she said it did absolutely nothing to control ants, flies, lice, spiders, earwigs, beetles, etc etc etc ~ but she liked the Manna Pro Poultry Protector I gave her to try. For our backyard we find flies are seasonal being the most active in hot summer months and then dwindling to nothing in the cooler and winter months - yet the poop content remained the same in both seasons. We've been fortunate not to have a problem with flies - we keep the produce and fresh food we give the chickens at a minimum that they can eat up in 10 minutes and take it away after that - no insects!

Here's my chickenwhisperer handing out evening treats!

Back
Top Bottom