people with house chickens

Agree with you. Each life has right to enjoy their life. My Pet chicken feel more happy and quiet when feeding Dried mealworms.hahh

Ours girls aren't completely all-house chickens but they DO come in if they see the door open:

LOL...so funny but they do love to come inside for visits don't they? I LOVE how they are all just trotting along in a line
lau.gif

Agree with you. Each life has right to enjoy their life. My Pet chicken feel more happy and quiet when feeding Dried mealworms.hahh

There is so much personal joy when DH and I interact with our chickens. Our current Cuckoo Breda house chicken was outdoors for the first time today and she followed us around like a puppy. She played dead chicken while sun-bathing in the hot sun and she tried desperately to get the snotty Silkies to notice her through the fence -- she tried very hard to get them to come out to her but they ignored her. It'll take a few more days for the Silkies to get comfortable with the outgoing friendly Breda. Breda are unafraid and accepting of other chickens when other breeds are not so willing.

There is so much personal joy when DH and I interact with our chickens. Our current Cuckoo Breda house chicken was outdoors for the first time today and she followed us around like a puppy. She played dead chicken while sun-bathing in the hot sun and she tried desperately to get the snotty Silkies to notice her through the fence -- she tried very hard to get them to come out to her but they ignored her. It'll take a few more days for the Silkies to get comfortable with the outgoing friendly Breda. Breda are unafraid and accepting of other chickens when other breeds are not so willing.

Awwww...she is cute! Looking around like "Hey....whatcha doing over there???? Wanna play????" Hopefully those silkies get friendly soon!!!!
big_smile.png

One thing I didn't think of before picking a LF cochin as my house chicken: molting. Thank goodness that is finally over with for now, it looked like someone had violently murdered a pillow everywhere no matter how much I swept and her immense fluff just clogs the shop vac!

One thing I didn't think of before picking a LF cochin as my house chicken: molting. Thank goodness that is finally over with for now, it looked like someone had violently murdered a pillow everywhere no matter how much I swept and her immense fluff just clogs the shop vac!

Molting is hard on chickens. Every time I picked up my 2-lb Silkie I got a handful of fluff and her feathers were sailing in the wind everywhere! I don't know why she never had any bald skin on her little body -- but she certainly had LOTS of new feather shafts annoying her. Extra protein or Feather Fixer food is good to give molting chickens.

Molting is hard on chickens. Every time I picked up my 2-lb Silkie I got a handful of fluff and her feathers were sailing in the wind everywhere! I don't know why she never had any bald skin on her little body -- but she certainly had LOTS of new feather shafts annoying her. Extra protein or Feather Fixer food is good to give molting chickens.
Yeah, we had to give her plenty of protein.. this molt was a bad one. She looked like she'd been put through a tornado she lost so much apparent mass. We had to keep her out of the bedroom because feathers that escaped our notice would end up drifting up and multiple times got snored in to one of our noses in our sleep LMAO! She hated the change of routine, and any touch seemed uncomfortable to painful. At the peek of it I had to put her on pain killers just to keep her acting like a normal chicken, otherwise she just wanted to stand in a corner whining. I hope next year's fall molt won't be so rough but she'll be 3 1/2 then.

Back
Top Bottom