people with house chickens

Should be 1 day, but it could end up being 2 or 3, and I am sure mama hen won't mind sitting extra days.
smile.png
So not long! The hen has been doing an amazing job and I recently got an egg candler with an incubator we ordered, to hatch stubborn quails, as all my other attempts at hatching them failed and I KNOW the quail eggs are fertile. XD

Anyways, back to da chickens. I got the egg candler and examined a few eggs and compared them to a store egg for reference, and I could tell the egg had a chick in it right away, I could hardly see though it and around the air sac, where it was brightest, I saw some of the veins. Compared to a store egg that even when not in pretty much total darkness which I needed to see the Silkie egg, was a glowing ball of orange. So the eggs are def fertile and def on the way to hatching!

Luckily she doesn't mind me examining her eggs much, probably since she is used to me touching them such as when the eggs are poking out from under her from her breaks on the nest or from when she shifted position, so I lightly push them in back under her.

Awww...good luck to momma hen and you! So sweet to see a momma hen with her babies
love.gif
Can't wait to see pics!!!

I have a mirror in there for them as well so they assume there are 4 chicks in there all together. Even with all that they are still super demanding. My little wry neck chick is a LOT of work to get her better and Elsa her buddy is very very VERY needy and has to be cuddled and snuggled for hours. Sometimes I have to yell at Elsa and tell her she needs to eat and drink for a little while and not sit on my lap because she would do that until she starved so I have to set her down for an hour to get her food and water intake. She also gets jealous when I am giving Whinny her vitamins because she is getting attention and Elsa is not. She will walk around screaming at the top of her lungs and when I put Whinny back I need to hold Elsa or she will run over and pick on her. I call them my toddlers, at least this age doesn't last long.

LOL...yes those hatchlings are very needy! But very fun to care for! One year I hatched a chick that has splay leg and needed lots of TLC. I put her in a separate brooder with one other chick that snuggled her all the time when they were all together. I named them Hobble and friend...LOL! Anyway, everytime I took out Hobble for treatment, friend would chirp like crazy! They loved each other! A friend of mine adopted them both
big_smile.png

I have a mirror in there for them as well so they assume there are 4 chicks in there all together. Even with all that they are still super demanding. My little wry neck chick is a LOT of work to get her better and Elsa her buddy is very very VERY needy and has to be cuddled and snuggled for hours. Sometimes I have to yell at Elsa and tell her she needs to eat and drink for a little while and not sit on my lap because she would do that until she starved so I have to set her down for an hour to get her food and water intake. She also gets jealous when I am giving Whinny her vitamins because she is getting attention and Elsa is not. She will walk around screaming at the top of her lungs and when I put Whinny back I need to hold Elsa or she will run over and pick on her. I call them my toddlers, at least this age doesn't last long.

The chick stage didn't go fast enough for me -- I won't do it again. I mean, it was nice to experience but I avoid the feed store chicks like the plague (they're too darn cute!).

Our needy cry baby. After all the nursing we gave her as a baby, we lost her before POL.

Call me crazy or call me crazy, I got a little shoulder sling bag my silkies fit into so I can carry them around the farm when I do chores. I an thinking about getting a chicken harness and sewing a clip into the bag so I can take them places with me. Do you think pet stores will let you take a pet chicken inside?

Last edited:
The chick stage didn't go fast enough for me -- I won't do it again. I mean, it was nice to experience but I avoid the feed store chicks like the plague (they're too darn cute!).

Our needy cry baby. After all the nursing we gave her as a baby, we lost her before POL.

Awww...so sorry!
hugs.gif
Cute little fluff ball! And YES....peeping babies=DANGER!!! They end up coming home with you before you know it..LOL!! I am getting ready to hatch in 1 WEEK!!!!
wee.gif

Call be crazy or call me crazy, I got a little shoulder sling bag my silkies fit into so I can carry them around the farm when I do chores. I an thinking about getting a chicken harness and sewing a clip into the bag so I can take them places with me. Do you think pet stores will let you take a pet chicken inside?

LOL...never tried! We did take our house chickens on vacation with us though! We had a travel house they were used too...took all their stuff and they were happy to be with us
big_smile.png

LOL...never tried! We did take our house chickens on vacation with us though! We had a travel house they were used too...took all their stuff and they were happy to be with us
big_smile.png
I would love to take my silkies on vacation with me. Go to a fun camping trip with them like people who always bring their little dogs. I am already one chicken clothing closet away from making my silkies look like little dogs anyways. No, my dogs always bawk, don't question my pomeranipoo's....>.>

Last edited:
I would love to take my silkies on vacation with me. Go to a fun camping trip with them like people who always bring their little dogs. I am already one shirt away from making my silkies look like little dogs anyways. No, my dogs always bawk, don't question my pomeranipoo's....>.>

We go to Catalina every year, along with a few other places and they are so used to being with us we just couldn't bear to leave them behind. We weren't sure the first time how it would go and many people said they would stress out...but not the case with us! They got very used to going in their carrier and heading out with us, so with us they went! A friend of mine has a bike with a basket and her hen hops in to go for a ride all the time!

Last edited:
We go to Catalina every year, along with a few other places and they are so used to being with us we just couldn't bear to leave them behind. We weren't sure the first time how it would go and many people said they would stress out...but not the case with us! They got very used to going in their carrier and heading out with us, so with us they went!
I always take mine on car rides to the gas station or sometimes to a drive through to get lunch in the middle of the day. I took them to the local feed mill to pick up shavings too. They like being in the car if the window is cracked a little. They sit in a small dog crate in my back seat.

I always take mine on car rides to the gas station or sometimes to a drive through to get lunch in the middle of the day. I took them to the local feed mill to pick up shavings too. They like being in the car if the window is cracked a little. They sit in a small dog crate in my back seat.

LOVE it!!!! We always joked that our girl Peep acted more like a puppy than a chicken..LOL!! We miss her dearly
sad.png
I am getting ready to hatch some Bantam cochins in a week and am VERY much looking forward to having our house chickens back again! We miss the pitter patter of chicken feet
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom