Peppa and George

So given that they are two weeks old how long do you think I should wait? Another week? The little chicks escaped today into the bigger run and came to no harm. I discovered them when I got home they wanted Peppa and she was frantic but George didn't seem to be bothered with them.
See... little chicks are no threat to George, it's Peppa she needs to re-accept into the main coop/run.
They need to re-establish their statuses with one another....it's a pecking order thing.
Might be harder than normal with only 2 hens in the 'flock', especially if George has always been top hen.
My broody was a 'middle of the flock' ranking hen, and she was fighting with previously higher ranking hens.

I wouldn't wait at all...just get it over with.
I'd supervise tho, if blood flows break it up-more than once might be necessary, but only resegregate if absolutely necessary.
If you separate them again, you're just starting the whole thing over again.
Toss around some scratch for distraction.
Peppa and the chicks should have access to their nest for retreat, but leave their area open to the main space.
Treat it like any other integration...lots of space, multiple feed/water stations, etc.

Hopefully your coop/run is large enough for the subordinate to retreat, they need space between one another.
How big is your step up, in feet by feet?
Pics might help us see something that would help or is causing a problem.

Well that worked they battled for a good thirty minutes the chicks were well hidden in their little brooder. George can off second best but she has always been the lower of the two. Neither George or Peppa are roosting together tonight but there is no other separation between the hens. Thankyou so much again

Well that worked they battled for a good thirty minutes the chicks were well hidden in their little brooder. George can off second best but she has always been the lower of the two. Neither George or Peppa are roosting together tonight but there is no other separation between the hens. Thankyou so much again
Awesome!! So glad you went thru with it. Any blood shed?
Peppa will sleep with her chicks until she weans them...anywhere from 4-8 weeks is the usual range.
Might be more battles once Peppa goes back to roost.
Would be good to have a separate roost for Peppa and her chicks.
Sometimes broody mama will teach them to roost, sometimes not.

Well I thought it was over and you are right there were more battles. Blood was shed!! George came off worse than Peppa but the damage doesn't look too serious. They are now both out of the coop with Peppa sat on the chicks and George sat in the furthest corner away from Peppa and the coop. I'm just hoping they will sort it out eventually. I will upload pics tomorrow so you get a better understanding.

Well I thought it was over and you are right there were more battles. Blood was shed!! George came off worse than Peppa but the damage doesn't look too serious. They are now both out of the coop with Peppa sat on the chicks and George sat in the furthest corner away from Peppa and the coop. I'm just hoping they will sort it out eventually. I will upload pics tomorrow so you get a better understanding.
Once she 'won' her fights my broody got great pleasure(so it seemed) with flaunting her new status.....
.....was a bit of a bully even when the chicks were not being directly threatened.

As long as the bleeding isn't copious, no one is getting pinned down and beaten unmercilessly,
and everyone can eat and drink without harassment, just let them work it out.
Neutral corners is good.....they all need to rest between bouts.

Peppa is very much the same I gave her a boot up the back side coz she attacked George even for eating a corn cob. Here are the pictures
I said I would put up.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom