1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Percent of meat per bird???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Chicken Slaver, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Chicken Slaver

Chicken Slaver Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2015
    In The Pines
    What percentage of live weight is meat on a 3-yr old layer hen? In other words, if a person had 6lb layers that they wanted to bone-out to make sausage how much weight per bird in boned-out & skinned meat per bird?

2. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm throwing a dart at the board here. But I'd bet a 6lb bird is going to clean out around 4 lbs.
    Let me go kill one of my chickens, I'll get back to you.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  3. BBQJOE

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  4. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

The answer to your question can be found in Gail Damerow's Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. I remember reading it in there. I would tell you, but I cannot seem to find the book... anyone else have it?

5. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    They said there would be no math.

6. Chicken Slaver

Chicken Slaver Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2015
    In The Pines
    [​IMG]

7. Kinger1979

Kinger1979 New Egg

Apr 18, 2015
    Live weight to dressed weight is roughly 73/75% in poultry.So if you have a 6 pound layer it should dress out at roughly 4 1/2 pound.Bear in mind dressed weight is a carcass with bones so the actual meat will be less again but hope this offers some idea .

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I didn't weigh my birds at all, but I culled some cockerels that were a mostly Easter egger, some barred Rock, some Leghorn. Classic barnyard mixes with an emphasis on egg laying, not meat.

the skinned carcasses looked like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then I put those in the pressure cooker, cooled and pulled the meat. Each carcass yielded about a quart bag of meat.

[​IMG]

Now, these were males about 7 months old, so I'm thinking you'll get maybe 2/3 that amount of meat from a mature hen. So maybe a generous pint? around there. But the hen will have more fat for your sausage, that's a bonus. They usually have a nice fat pad at the base of the tail.

9. BBQJOE

That meat is so dark. It looks like duck.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have folks comment on that a lot. I don't know if it's cause it's skinned, or what. They were birds who had had time to develop some good muscle mass and use their legs quite a bit, maybe that's the difference. [​IMG]. But it is moist and juicy and tender.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by