Perch question

JayWhit

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Not long ago I built a new coop. When I switched my hens into it, they loved the bigger space. But the problem I've ran into is only 1 hen out of 5 will stay on the perch, one likes to go sleep in the nesting box, and the rest sleep on the floor. A) Is the one hen possibly being over dominant keeping them off? 2)Or do they just stay where they feel comfy?
Any suggestions on perch dimensions, such as slanted, etc? I just feel like I constantly clean poop out of the nesting boxes. Thanks

And also how far is it off the floor? Is that one chicken the only one who can reach it? I have a ramp up to our perch, and the girls always use it.

I built the perch off a design on the Internet. It is 36" off the ground. I have one perch rail, then about 1' between it and the next one. They run they length of the building. Aprox 6'. I've tried putting them up there a few times, and have seen two fly up there. Wonder if they are to high? Or maybe I do need a ramp?

I think your lowest roost is to high, this is mine, the lowest is just over a foot off the floor, and each roost is about 16" higher and set at an angle back so they are not pooping on the chickens on the lower roosts. I would put up a ramp or ladder for them to get to the lowest roost.

Back
Top Bottom