Perching Issues

dublinfeather

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
I'm looking for any tips or advice on getting chickens to use the roost at night. I have two girls who won't use the perch when they go to sleep. The perch is already used by the two older ones and the youngest of the group is using the edge of the nest box to perch. For the past couple of days I've gone out there around ten to place them on it but how long do I have to keep it up? I'll try to get some photos of the inside of the coop as soon as possible. Thank you.

I'm right there with you on the frustration!!
he.gif
My 4 BA young ladies absolutely refuse to use the roost...in the coop or in the run! I have a webcam in my coop and every night when I view my monitor there they are....all piled in a big cuddly mess....on the FLOOR! I've tried and tried....geez!!

Young chickens sleep in a pile as when they were chicks, until they about ready to lay. That's when mine start to roost each year. They will roost on branches and such during the day, but sleep in a pile at night. One day, they will decide to join the rest of the chickens and roost on the 2x4 bar. I watch them go through this with each new batch each year.

Chris

Young chickens sleep in a pile as when they were chicks, until they about ready to lay. That's when mine start to roost each year. They will roost on branches and such during the day, but sleep in a pile at night. One day, they will decide to join the rest of the chickens and roost on the 2x4 bar. I watch them go through this with each new batch each year.

Chris
Ah-HA!! So maybe that's why my 4 BAs are still doing the cuddling-thing instead of roosting....they should start laying in about 3-4 weeks so I'll be on the lookout. Hopefully one day there they'll be...all sitting in a row on the roost bar!!
wee.gif

My problem was they were all sleeping in the nests and not on the roost.. it all seemed to work itself out in the end. When they reached 15 weeks they were all sleeping on the roosts. If you can show one sometimes the rest will follow. Monkey see monkey do with these miracle girls.

I'm looking for any tips or advice on getting chickens to use the roost at night. I have two girls who won't use the perch when they go to sleep. The perch is already used by the two older ones and the youngest of the group is using the edge of the nest box to perch. For the past couple of days I've gone out there around ten to place them on it but how long do I have to keep it up? I'll try to get some photos of the inside of the coop as soon as possible. Thank you.

How old are your chickens?

It can take a week or three of putting them on the roost before they decide to do it themselves.
Could be a pecking order thing too.

How old are your chickens?

It can take a week or three of putting them on the roost before they decide to do it themselves.
Could be a pecking order thing too.
the speckled brown one is 6 months and the roadrunner looking white one is 5 months. the only one who pecks at night is the bigger white one while the lighter brown one pecks while at the food dish.

excuse the mess in the coop, tomorrow is clean out day

Ahhh, I think you have barely enough roosting room.
They may snuggle up to half that space in a cold winter, but summer is another matter and they still need some extra room to get settled.
I'd change it to the other orientation in the coop if that will make it longer....or add another section of roost perpendicular off that one.
More roost length might help...I think it's combo of not enough roost and pecking order...lowest hen doesn't get to sleep on roost.

Ahhh, I think you have barely enough roosting room.
They may snuggle up to half that space in a cold winter, but summer is another matter and they still need some extra room to get settled.
I'd change it to the other orientation in the coop if that will make it longer....or add another section of roost perpendicular off that one.
More roost length might help...I think it's combo of not enough roost and pecking order...lowest hen doesn't get to sleep on roost.
Got it and I'm trying to work out nesting boxes for 7 hens

Back
Top Bottom