perfect rooster

afre96

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
I have been on a quest to find the "perfect" partridge rooster. I am already getting a barred holland rooster to breed my BH hens but I am going to have a flock of different breeds of hens and have around 20-25 total so I need another rooster. I am looking at red jungle fowl or a partridge wyandotte rooster, I love the wyadottes heavy plumage but I need a guard rooster, a rooster that is very alert, very tame to me but will attack a predator. My BH rooster will mainly be a breeder but will also be used to help guard the hens. I have no interest in breeding red jungle fowl if I get one. I PREFER a partridge colored rooster that can free roam in a fence and can protect himself and hens. but I have also considered california white roosters, and jersey giant roosters.

Last edited:
I have been on a quest to find the "perfect" partridge rooster. I am already getting a barred holland rooster to breed my BH hens but I am going to have a flock of different breeds of hens and have around 20-25 total so I need another rooster. I am looking at red jungle fowl or a partridge wyandotte rooster, I love the wyadottes heavy plumage but I need a guard rooster, a rooster that is very alert, very tame to me but will attack a predator. My BH rooster will mainly be a breeder but will also be used to help guard the hens. I have no interest in breeding red jungle fowl if I get one. I PREFER a partridge colored rooster that can free roam in a fence(with a top) and can protect himself and hens. but I have also considered california white roosters, and jersey giant roosters.
I'm confused here. If they are in a run with a top, you need a protector roo, why???

The run will have a top but I will have a fence to free range them in when I get home for the rest of the day, so there will be a run connected to the coop and a fence around it without a top so I need a guard for the free range time

Ok, I see. Well, the Games are supposed to be very good at guarding their ladies, but even they have limitations when it comes to predators. Around here, we have all kinds of hawks and Eagles at certain times of the year, but so far, none have even looked at my free range flock. Mine also have plenty of cover as is bushes, tall grasses, under the deck, so in case a hawk does come by looking for a meal, they all have a place to take cover. I also have a bunch of barn cats here that hang out with the chickens, and I really think they help deter the hawks! Now, if you are talking about bigger predators, like dogs, coyotes, racoons, opossums, fox, etc.; that's where the limitations kick in. Those predators will take the roo too! A livestock guardian dog, such as a Great Pyranees, will come in handy in that situation, just make sure that it is used to chickens, otherwise, they become the predator!

Ok, I see. Well, the Games are supposed to be very good at guarding their ladies, but even they have limitations when it comes to predators. Around here, we have all kinds of hawks and Eagles at certain times of the year, but so far, none have even looked at my free range flock. Mine also have plenty of cover as is bushes, tall grasses, under the deck, so in case a hawk does come by looking for a meal, they all have a place to take cover. I also have a bunch of barn cats here that hang out with the chickens, and I really think they help deter the hawks! Now, if you are talking about bigger predators, like dogs, coyotes, racoons, opossums, fox, etc.; that's where the limitations kick in. Those predators will take the roo too! A livestock guardian dog, such as a Great Pyranees, will come in handy in that situation, just make sure that it is used to chickens, otherwise, they become the predator!
Well I don't think I can get a game rooster with another rooster (it would get bloody).

Well I don't think I can get a game rooster with another rooster (it would get bloody).
Are Red Jungle fowl not game?? Sorry, don't know a whole heck of a lot of those types. I know my breed, Marans, supposedly started from Jungle fowl and some Game, and let me tell you, those who don't like each other will fight to the death unless seperated. Seems I read somewhere that the darker colored roos tend to put off the aerial predators more, and that may be true, as all my roos are dark, and I've had no problems.

Back
Top Bottom